How manageable is it in first few weeks alone.....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

princess08 Posts: 113
Hi Girls, We've just found out this week that DH will be away with work sun-fri for 3 mths, hopefully only be 4/5 weeks left after baby arrives. How manageable is it to do everything yourself for first few weeks? We need to be realistic if I need help in etc .......
justwaitin Posts: 2462
girl you can do it, you shoudnt need much help maybe the odd day youl need some to just help you up a bit, a bit of emotional support than anything else.
TracyD Posts: 750
Get some help if you can and find a mum and baby group so you have someone to talk to. I'd organize to have a family member/friend come stay one night a week to give you a break.....the nights can be VERY long with a newborn when your DP is away and you're exhausted. Tracy
kala Posts: 1937
the first 6-8 weeks with a newborn are very hard. i would reckon even if you just had it organised for someone to pop around to you say on the saturday for an hour or two so that you can do a few bits- be it take a shower , run to the shops . do a bit of washing/tidying up, or even if its just for them to call and have a cuppa with you. but you'll find that babs will come to an age (i'd say round the 8 week mark) and you will be doing stuff you thought you'd never be able to do. i thought for the first 6 weeks i was going to have to get a cleaner in but as babs gets older it gets easier.
amimad Posts: 99
I'd agree with Kala, have someone call by for a couple of hours on one of the days just to give you a chance to do a few things...
ConfusedBride2Be Posts: 463
Hi princess08, I basically did the first 6 and a half years on my own but I have to say it was tough going at the start. Tiredness is a killer. I breast fed DD every two hours and to be honest the first few weeks were a blur because of pure tiredness. I would definitely say if you can get help or someone to stay with you please do it. You'll need the extra help, even having a shower is an ordeal, I used to bring DD in to the bathroom on her changing mat as I was afraid to leave her on her own. These things never really occured to me before I had her. Hope this helps x
jenny s Posts: 151
Oh definatly line up a few different people to help you at different times. Dont try to be a soldier as you may only end up isolating yourself and becoming depressed. Support is absolutly essential to ANY new mum IMO. :wv
princess08 Posts: 113
Thanks girls, ill work something out between friends & family hopefully
SuzyC Posts: 335
One golden rule ... when babes is sleeping you sleep too. Good luck, you will be great :xox
LMR Posts: 1925
If its short term and you've got support I'd say you'll be fine. Its a same though that your H has to be away. I have enormous sympathy for you as I'll be in the same position. As I live in a developing country I'll be travelling to another to have the baby. It means I'll be on my own the last month (at least assuming there's no complications) and obvioulsy won't be able to travel back til a few weeks ater (again assuming there are no complications). I'm not looking forward to it as although I'm sure I'l manage on a practical level I think its the emotional support I'll really miss. Good luck x