How many had Cesarean 2nd time round?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

meandmyself Posts: 149
I am just wondering how many of you went on to have another section 2nd time round. I know that it is possible to have natural birth after having a section, but I get the impression that it's more likely I will have one again. I am half expecting to have one, given the fact that I had a previous section and the possible risk of having a seizure during labour (I have epilepsy) although that wasn't really thought of a problem last time, it wasn't the reason I had to have cesarean. Thanks in advance!!!
amberjack Posts: 1273
I had "an emergency" one last time due to a failed induction and am opting for an elective one this time around.
vonnyoc Posts: 2688
I had an emergency section last time, so I think I'm going to opt for an elective this time. It's only 6 months since my last one so I don't think I'd be allowed have a VBAC incase my scar ruptured.
summersurprise Posts: 1276
my first baby was natural and 2nd was emergency section this time round consultant is all on for a vbac and all goin well ill have one, wasn't given a "choice" as such on account of first bein fine. re scar rupture i was afraid of this happening too but there is apparently only a very very small chance of it happening and there will be just the yr between my 2.
Mustang Sally Posts: 394
The rate of successful VBAC is between 50 and 75%. So if you opt for a VBAC there is more than a 50:50 chance you will deliver vaginally.
Mumaholic Posts: 833
I had a section for breech first time round Had my new baby almost 4 weeks ago, went into labour myself 5days overdue and failed to progress beyond 5cms so after an attempt at a slow induction it ended in emergency section. Would opt for an elective section if I ever have another baby
ciaraella Posts: 5323
Re elective section how obliging are they about having one? Just curiousity really, i was public in the coombe and had an emergency section. Won't be ttc for a year or so yet but it has been something i've thought about, whether i'd try and get an elective section or go for a vbac.
amberjack Posts: 1273
I'm private and my consultant had no issues with it, also there will be 15 months between my 2. I think it depends on the conultant tbh as some might encourage a vbac. At the end of the day, the insurance company will be paying for it, so I dont think he had any issues with that.
marriedLife Posts: 1881
My consultant told me that I have a 60% chance of a vbac this time, last time was a planned section because he was breech. So fingers crossed I'll be one of the 60%
secretsnuggler Posts: 374
Just after my emergency section (failure to progress, I had a high temp also) the registrar who performed the op said I would have an 80% chance of vaginal birth if I chose to go again. Fast forward a year and a half and my consultant in the semi private clinic has given me a 60% chance. I wonder where my extra 20% has gone?? ;o)