How many had Cesarean 2nd time round? - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hipbaby Posts: 4530
I had an elective 2nd section as couldn't go through what I went through on DD1, but saying that by the time it came to DD3 they were willing to let me try for a vbac but had me booked in for a section just in case. I went into labour 2.5weeks early and really thought I would go myself but ended in another section
BusyDee Posts: 8527
[quote="amberjack":2xygoife]I'm private and my consultant had no issues with it, also there will be 15 months between my 2. I think it depends on the conultant tbh as some might encourage a vbac. At the end of the day, the insurance company will be paying for it, so I dont think he had any issues with that.[/quote:2xygoife] Ive wondered about the insurance, if you had an elective section first time (medically necessary) but chose a section second time if there is no medical need other than you just want one, does insurance still cover this? I went private first time and needed a section coz she was breach and will definitely be requesting another one if I have another, cons said this was no problem was totally up to me but got the immpression that would be if I went private again? And if I chose him as my cons again!
funkyfish Posts: 7626
emergency section first time around DS was breech and i went into labour. i had a VBAC. it was fab fab fab. no comparison in the recovery. give it a shot.
amberjack Posts: 1273
[quote="BusyDee":2laujeew][quote="amberjack":2laujeew]I'm private and my consultant had no issues with it, also there will be 15 months between my 2. I think it depends on the conultant tbh as some might encourage a vbac. At the end of the day, the insurance company will be paying for it, so I dont think he had any issues with that.[/quote:2laujeew] Ive wondered about the insurance, if you had an elective section first time (medically necessary) but chose a section second time if there is no medical need other than you just want one, does insurance still cover this? I went private first time and needed a section coz she was breach and will definitely be requesting another one if I have another, cons said this was no problem was totally up to me but got the immpression that would be if I went private again? And if I chose him as my cons again![/quote:2laujeew] I think the consultant will put on the paperwork that it was needed for medical purposes, so it will be covered. I've already asked him and he said not to worry about it.
meandmyself Posts: 149
Funky Fish, did you find any difference in bonding after the VBAC, as opposed to the section. I found I didn't bond with my DS for the first few days and wondered if it was due to section and me not seeing him for a while after he was born because of me having to stay in the in recovery while he went down to the ward.
BusyDee Posts: 8527
Thanks Amberjack [quote="cgkk":1jy8la8d]Funky Fish, did you find any difference in bonding after the VBAC, as opposed to the section. I found I didn't bond with my DS for the first few days and wondered if it was due to section and me not seeing him for a while after he was born because of me having to stay in the in recovery while he went down to the ward.[/quote:1jy8la8d] I'll just tell you my experience but I found I bonded very well with dd after my section even though I only saw her for the first 10-15 mins in theatre and then she had to go to special care so I didnt see her again till 6 hours later! I think I was on such a high being a mammy for the first time and tbh I was glad of the few hours to myself afterwards. I wasnt a very mammyish person at all till she was born so I was surprised how well I bonded with her, considering how long we were apart. Looking back now I feel kinda bad I wasnt with her but hey! Im sure it must be great though if you have a natural delivery and babs gets to stay with you.
I wish I had that bonding at the start. It's not like I felt nothing for him, I definately felt something for him, I just wasn't madly in love with him. I had myself all geared up for the rush of love I'd feel for him when he was born and the euphoria women talk about, but it didn't come and I cannot tell you how guilty I felt. A few days later when I rang my Mam from hospital in tears, she told me to cop on and said that she felt exactly the same when she had me (section too). Now of course I adore him, I am actually finding it hard to believe I will be able to love our next baby as much as him, but I know I will! Since my experience with DS I have mentioned it to other Moms and a few said they felt exactly the same but never said anything to anyone. I wish I had known that it might just happen and that sometimes the love takes time to grow, I wouldn't have felt so guilty. If I end up having a section this time round hopefully I will have a similar bonding experience as you BusyDee!
wollysocks Posts: 1773
I wondered about this too- I had emergency section first time- went into labour but failed to progress or dilate enough. This second time, midwives I met and doctors in semi-private all seemed to push vbac - I was asked what I 'hoped for' this time but I got the impression I was meant to say vbac-they all seemed pleased when I said it!- and all told me I had 70% chance of vbac this time. I said yes as I didn't think I had a choice and I found the section felt like being hit by a bus so hoped the vbac would be easier recovery. Then at my last appt, different doc asked me had delivery options been discussed with me?- was I sure I wanted vbac? totally different to others I'd met...Asked me had I been told about the risk of the scar rupturing during labour? Went on to tell me the risk was very low- 0.5% but it can happen- result huge loss of blood for me at least and possible death of baby! He said it wasn't to scare me but to make sure I knew all the facts.....So now a few weeks from delivery I'm getting worried and thinking should I go with elective section?- like others here I didn't think it was a option-- but he presented it like an option- I guess for insurance they just put it down as medical necessity.Probably because it is semi-private- I dont think they would do this in public. I asked him if I went overdue without going into labour, do they definitely not induce in any way and will I need a section. He said yes but I can have the section on my due date if I want or as many days after as I want.... Now I am really confused as to what to do...stick to original plan of hoping for vbac or go for elective section....I'm not worried about bonding aspect- I think it comes either way
I don't know which I would go for if I was given the choice, the VBAC sounds good recovery wise, it's not fun getting over a cesarean, even turning in the bed is brutal. But if I had a section I would know what I am in for!! Pushing scares me! Having DS at home my steer me in the direction of VBAC because as tough as recovery was the first time I would imagine it would be much tougher when there is a toddler to look after plus the little newborn baby.
Diamontee Posts: 675
I really hope to try VBAC this time! Had a section on DD as she was breech, recovered fine def took a few weeks before I felt right. Having this baby DD will be 2yrs & 3months please god and I know I would find it difficult dealing with her, wouldnt be able to lift her etc! I know I wouldnt be able to say no to her and end up with a longer recovery. On my 1st visit to the hospital they asked me what I wanted, and again at my 20 week visit they noted I wanted a VBAC and told me the hospital had a 70% success rate on VBAC but they would monitor you closely in labour due to the scar etc. Also I am scared s*itless as I know what to expect with a section and dont even know what labour feels like!! I know if this baby is breech I wont have a choice and so be it but at the moment im really hoping on a VBAC! :o)ll