How much can I expect to pay for a wedding dress?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

RoseDawson Posts: 1494
Hi girls, I am clueless about this. I am going to Tracy Bridal in Galway to have a look at the dresses soon and I am just wondering how much I should expect to see on the price tags?? I have set €1000.00 in my budget for my dress, will this be enough do ye think. Will this buy a good dress?? I cant really afford to pay any more. Should one haggle with the price??
Groovy-Chick Posts: 2383
I only went to one bridal shop and I found that they were all priced from 1000 upwards. Another option you have tho is if you see something you like you could always get the name of it and see if you can order it online for cheaper?? HTH ETS: The bridal shop I was in were offering 200 euro off all sales on the day I was in. Also, if you buy a dress which is a sample or is discontinued you can expect to get a significant discount!
hollywoodbride Posts: 1341
I would not tell the shop your budget just haggle as much as possible I got discount of 800.00 of my dress just by asking. I know Hickey do fab dresses by loads of designers and they are much cheaper them bridal shops and the fit is great. worth a try
Blitz Posts: 583
I can't really comment on Euro prices - but I know that when I bought my dress in NI I was surprised at prices.. I had thought that all the nice dresses were going to be Thousands. I had several possibilities that were £800-£900. I even tried on a gorgeous linea Raffelli in McElhinneys and nearly died when she told me it was reduced to €599 - it was a sample but I was the first to try it on. If you have a good look around you will find something in your budget and most shops are keen to give some discount to get the sale.. Dont rule out buying samples I always assumed that these would be old, dirty dresses that would look 2nd hand and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality when shopping..Good luck and enjoy this time *)
NemoFish Posts: 2501
Don't buy anything straight away, no matter how much you love it. (unless its a sample thats a one off offer!) See if you can find the same dress in another shop, and find out how much that shop is charging. Make sure you check up the north too, as I noticed differences of over €500. Tell the original shop what price you have seen the dress elsewhere. Also, while a shop may not budge on the price of the dress, you might be able to haggle for free alterations, discounts on BM dresses, veil, shoes or any other accessories.
Urban Fairy Posts: 3987
This is a real 'how long is a piece of string' question. It really depends, but yes there are plenty of amazing dresses out there for 1k and less. And yes you should always haggle in my opinion but some people dont have the confidence, but with so many expenses for a wedding, now is the best time to start. If the girl quotes you 1k, you tell her you'll give her €600 and that your broke, h2b no job.. pretty much bluff.. if she gives it to you for say €900, thats €100 back in your pocket and be very grateful to them. Most places will play hard ball but have room for a little haggling on your part. Best of luck!!
buttercup540 Posts: 6
hi littlechick My sisters dress was 1500 and herbirdesmaids were 700 but because she was buying them in the same shop she only paid 1300 for her dress... hope this helps....
hopeful13 Posts: 501
i got my dress in Tracy Bridal and they have a really good selection around and under the €1000 mark
14082010 Posts: 2103
I paid €1350 for mine but i am sure there are alot cheaper dresses out there! It was the 1st dress in the 1st shop that i tried on so i cant be any more help to you :wv
yankiecandle Posts: 2888
hard to know my dress cost €3600 but my friend got her's for €600 & is fab too. word of advice... dont go to vera wang if your on a budget, look what happened to me