How much DIY are people doing for the big day?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mr&MrsS Posts: 2
Hi guys Just a quick question about how much DIY people are doing for their big day. I'm planning to do quite a lot (all stationery, favours, lot of table decor, bouquets & buttonholes, the cake etc) but some people have been saying they think I'm mad to take so much on. My view is it keeps us on budget but most of all I really enjoy it! Hopefully it won't get too stressful as I've 15 months to the wedding. Anyone else taking as much on? Do you enjoy it?
lindserella Posts: 45
Hey, yes I'm doing loads of diy for mine! We're doing all our own flowers (silk flowers) for table centres, table/altar at ceremony, button holes, bouquets, decorating all our own candles, save the dates, invitations, menus, place cards, ceremony booklets, confetti cones, designing our own ceremony, wedding packs for family, children's activity packs....... etc etc!!! Love the idea of personalising it all! Our wedding is 16 months today so loads of time to do it all! Tonnes done already!
Dolally Posts: 394
Girls ur scaring me... I'm doing centerpieces, flowers, buttonholes etc and I've nothing done... Where to start!!! 9 months 2 weeks to mine!!! The time flies girls xx
emawasten Posts: 26
I am also enjoying DIY of my wedding. And i don't feel any stress and it is too much. I like traditional marriage so i choose every thing according to it. Mostly i am enjoying my wedding shopping.
craftyPB Posts: 2625
I'm doing lots too... The mass booklets, tears of joy pockets (done), various signs around the church and venue, bathroom baskets (done), flip flop baskets, invites including rsvps, flowergirl dress, DIYing the decorations on the jars for pew ends and table centres, hangers, activity book for flowergirl, pompoms, bunting, table plan, menus, table numbers (done), cupcake toppers, bottle labels, drink tags, some blackboard signs etc... Some said it was too much, but I am loving every minute of it. You do need to start early though. I've another 13 months to get this all done, who h should be lots of time...ove drafts of the mass booklets and invites done, which were tricky...
Funwedding Posts: 190
Im doing personalized hangers for bridal party...nearly started... tear pockets, favours, booklets and laminated names I think thats it.. I really want to personalize the wedding but everywhere is decorated as part of the package...trying to come up with something else really.. my mum is doing the invites as that is her hobby....
Grace Posts: 39
Where are you girls buying the blank tags to tie onto things? I haven't found any and I'd like to add them to our favours with a little message on each.
Hbombadero Posts: 1960
I did mass booklets, signs, favours, website and cake myself and thoroughly enjoyed it. I started early to spread the expense and to take pressure off. Invitations are a massive task. We had ours printed, including guest names and addresses pre-printed so all I had to do was put the enclosures in, stuff the envelopes and stamp them. That took me ages so if you're making invitations start now! It's a massive task. I would have been happy to DIY it but I got a good deal through work and DH refused to entertain invitation making!
mrsxtobe Posts: 198
I'm doing a good bit too. Some to save money and some because i like doing this kind of stuff. I'm going to do -wedding stationery, invites, table numbers, labels and signs etc. -Mass booklets -Cake-Making and decorating -Flowers in the church and perhaps the brides maids bouquets (have seen some lovely babys breath bouquets online) I'll definitely get my own bouquet and the button holes made. -Slate cheeseboards for serving the cheese wedding cake -Favours (Chutneys that will go with the cheeses) -Popcorn bar for the drinks reception -Might DIY a photobooth but i'm going to a wedding that has one of these soon and i'll see how it works before deciding on that. - THe hotel has a candy cart so i'll bring my own sweets for that Of everything the only thing i'm doing mainly for the price are the flowers. For what i'd like it would cost a fortune. My future sister in law is getting married soon and her mother and i are doing the flowers for her church so i'll have some practice.
craftyPB Posts: 2625
I've been getting my tags from Amazon...they're pretty cheap... I've also made some of my own from Kraft paper bought from papermilldirect.co.UK...