How much do you trust WOL?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mydresswillfit Posts: 387
I mean the posts that are put up here, in relation to relationships and health problems and all the personal stuff? My oh keeps telling me to be wary of giving people sympathy or advice on here coz it could be just someone having a laugh at our expense iykwim?? What ye think?
Jawl Posts: 8881
I don't take things on board personally. If somebody posts and says they're having a problem, I'll sympathise, try to help, offer hugs and support etc. But when I switch off the laptop, I forget about it. Because it's not MY real life, it's WOL Life, I guess you could call it.
MizMelanie Posts: 1443
What do you mean? As in, someone asks for advice on a problem they're having and your OH thinks they're just having a laugh? Why would someone do that? I know there are trolls sometimes but they're very obvious from what I've seen. I mean, there are lots of threads that deal with serious stuff and some that deal with light hearted stuff so I guess just post on the ones you're comfortable on?
dresstoimpress Posts: 1719
I'm genuine, so I expect most people are genuine on here. But I wouldn't take too much notice of anything said here on the same token, because as much as people can try to give advice and sympathy they will never know your full situation, or your own ticks/personality traits. Don't thinks anyone's having a laugh, but people can generalise a lot!!
mydresswillfit Posts: 387
Well I'm genuine too so I just automatically assume everyone else is. I think he's more talking about people's 1st post being about something bad, but I always think that they are just regular users who go anon so noone will recognise them. He's very wary of forums :o0 :o0
Sweet8 Posts: 1285
[color=#400080:2psvsdnb]My h2B is of a similar opinion. He uses forums too and he takes most of what he reads with a pinch of salt. As MizMelanie said, trolls are usually quite easy to spot. I'd rather give sympathy and advice to a Wollie and take the risk that they are indeed looking for help rather than not replying on the off chance it's a troll. :troll: I've got some great advice from Wollies on this site so I may be a bit biased! :-8 [/color:2psvsdnb]
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
i am wary if its someones first post sometimes.. espec if they have a big big problem!
Baby4 Posts: 153
[quote="RainbowNinja":1tuzl4ys]i am wary if its someones first post sometimes.. espec if they have a big big problem![/quote:1tuzl4ys] I agree. Unless they have specifically gone anon for a personal rant or a bitch about someone or advice that is very personal. Also, you can take the information you have been give by wollys and use it if you like, nothing is set in stone here which is great. It's good to voice your opinion whenever you feel the need to or when something specifically interests you. Also to look for advice from non partial parties, all with different prespectives and experiences. :wv
paperclips Posts: 3146
I have read some posts on here and thought " Seriously, is this for real" - if i get a feeling like that from a post i just ignore it. If I see something that I can add an opinion too or offer help and advice to someone then I'll add it. If I like it, i like it and if I dont, I dont - it doesnt affect my real life. That said, there is some fantastic information on this site...
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
[quote="mrsom":3bghjuua]I have read some posts on here and thought " Seriously, is this for real" - if i get a feeling like that from a post i just ignore it. If I see something that I can add an opinion too or offer help and advice to someone then I'll add it. If I like it, i like it and if I dont, I dont - it doesnt affect my real life. That said, there is some fantastic information on this site...[/quote:3bghjuua] Yep I would be along these lines too. Also Im wary about the information I post. If there is some thing that I wouldnt say to a persons face then I wont post about it on here. You just never know whos reading