How much does having a baby cost?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

gmuffins Posts: 50
Ok ok before we start some deep philosophical discussion about how you can put a value on the magic that is a baby, let me put that question in context! As part of our company benefits we get an allowance towards health insurance and every year we have to pick our “insurance level”. This year our health insurance provider has added in a few “ company plans” that we can chose from and I guess as a newlywed, this year for the first time I’ve looked at what maternity benefits are included. And I’m not asking exact costs cos I know they vary around the country, doctors/ consultants, what type of birth you decide to have, not to mention public versus private but during today’s “update” one of my colleagues asked about Gynae fees, Anaesthetist fees, midwife fees, visits to Doc in the run up to delivery so any of you lucky mother’s that have been through the process and come out the other end with a bundle of joy can you give me a rough guide? Do I need to dust off my wedding budget spreadsheet and adapt it :yelrotflmaosmilie: ? Start a savings plan?
nelswife Posts: 3869
I Cant honestly answer your question...but would like to know to....best thing to do maybe is ring your Health insurance policy holder company and ask them what your entitled to and what does your benefit cover you for?
BipsyBoo Posts: 1534
We're having our first baby this year. I'm going semi private at Holles Street (I was told by my GP that there's hardly any difference to going fully private) and I'm with Hibernian Aviva insurance. I had a pretty basic package with Hibernian. I had to pay the hospital €500 in fees and the scan cost €110 but I will get most of these costs refunded. I don't think there are any other fees that I'll have to pay. At least I hope not! I'm saving for wedding too - next May :o)ll Can't wait for both, though I have baby and wedding on the brain so it's hard to get anything at all done!!
vintagelace Posts: 100
Well I can only speak from my experience of having my daughter in 2007. I was a VHI customer and went semi private in Holles street and as far as I can remember I was fully covered for almost everything. I remember paying for one scan which was around €150 as far as I remember but apart from that I dont think we paid another cent for hospital/health care side of things. Obviously that would be different if you went fully private and different again if you went public.... now as for all the other baby related expenses, nappies, cots, carseats, buggies, childcare, cute little designer baby grows, hundreds of cups of coffee consumed in shopping centres with your other mummy pals...... hummm maybe best to dust off that spread sheet!!! :o0
Newme2013 Posts: 704
Not sure about the semi-private option, But I thought that when you go private, you have to pay for the consultants fees yourself, which can be about €3,000. The hospital costs are then covered by VHI.
Dee2807 Posts: 33
I went private (semi-private wasn't an option in my hosp.) and the consultants fee was €3000. I had health insurance and it paid for 3 nights in a private room and epidural. I also got billed for 1 night in a semi-private room as I was induced. This was €400 and I haven't paid it. Heath ins said they paid out their max but I actually spent the night in the labour ward so I'm not paying. Tbh not sure if I would go private again. €3000 is a lot of money but I did get excellent care and really appreciated my private room!!
vidia Posts: 2960
I think a lot of the "maternity" benefits are fairly similar between providers, but one point to consider is after the baby arrives! Some levels of cover dont allow for a percentage of certain fees to be recouped! My FFIL is with !!! and has to spend in excess of XXX consultant fees before he can claim a cent! Ironically he never actually reaches that!! Whereas with our package, we get 50% of everything back, no questions (bar dental). Ive had cranial ostepath with DS1, which at the time was so worth the money but very expensive, but we got half of all of it back. The same goes for lots of other medical expenses ie GP fees, Chiropody fees etc. So be sure to check what you can reclaim back at the end of the year. From a personal perspective, I went private on my first and public on my second, and tbh, private was a loada sh1te. All the best with TTC >:o)
14082010 Posts: 2103
Im sorry but i had to reply to these mad prices you ladies are paying! I had both my premmie sons public and had the best care ever! Both boys were in icu for several weeks with perfect care for nothing! Cant justify the fees of a private birth. Each to their own.
Synergy Posts: 2768
I'm the same I went public too for three of mine and when I asked for a room to myself, they obliged and I was very pleased. The care was second to none and I honestly don't know what extra would I have received had I gone private. After that though they cost a bloody fortune!!!! ha ha
14082010 Posts: 2103
[quote="Synergy":2lpwck6p]I'm the same I went public too for three of mine and when I asked for a room to myself, they obliged and I was very pleased. The care was second to none and I honestly don't know what extra would I have received had I gone private. After that though they cost a bloody fortune!!!! ha ha[/quote:2lpwck6p] Here, here O-O i had perfect care and so did my boys for nothing >:o) On my 1st Ds i had a room with another girl but prfer to be on a ward and kept amused :o0 Public for me all the way!