how much for a private scan

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

co kerry Posts: 153
this will be my first child i was told by the doctor that i wont be called till i am 20 weeks for my first scan , just wondering can i go for a private scan and then pubically from then on and how much is the scan
MaryJaneD Posts: 11
Hi Co.Kerry, Congratulations! It seems to be all scan talk today on WOL! I'm going to get an early scan very soon, rang them up to enquire yesterday so have all the info. You can get an early scan done in private clinics seperate to your maternity hospital. Most hospitals will only give you one scan at aroun 18-22 weeks which is the anomaly scan anyway unless you have a history of complications. I'm thinking of booking in in Babyscan in Swords in Dublin as have heard great things about them. They also have a clinic in Ballincollig in Cork which is probably a tad closer to you! You can get the early scan from 8-14 weeks and it costs €120. You get a print out of the scan and a report that you can give back to your doctor.
co kerry Posts: 153
thanks does my doctor have to book this or can i just phone up and book it, also do you count the weeks from the first day of your last period mine would have been the 28/12/2008
MaryJaneD Posts: 11
You can book it directly yourself and as far i know you're right, you count from the first day of your last period. I'm booking mine this afternoon so I'll let you know how I get on!
NewMom1 Posts: 1252
i went to femplus in blanchardstown and it was 100euro