How much to give priest?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

phananta Posts: 330
What's the standard donation to give to the priest these days? Wish they had a set charge, hate the 'whatever you think yourself' thing, would hate to offend! O:|
MrsTiredbride Posts: 3397
We were given a costs list as follows: Alter servers €20 each Sacristan €50 Priest €200 minimum donation We also had to pay a "booking fee" for the church
The PDQ Posts: 954
We gave our Priest €200. There was never a mention of money from him, no booking fee for church and there were no servers or sacristian (sp). So I decided on €200 as it seemed the average after talking to people.
love struck Posts: 1125
phananta We gave the priest 300euro as this is what was recommended at the pre-marraige course.. We also gave the lady (Sacristan) who looks after cleaning the church etc 50euro.. TBH in the great scheme of things it very little.. And our church looked beautiful on the day.. Maybe different areas there are different expectations..
phananta We gave the priest 300euro as this is what was recommended at the pre-marraige course.. We also gave the lady (Sacristan) who looks after cleaning the church etc 50euro.. TBH in the great scheme of things it very little.. And our church looked beautiful on the day.. Maybe different areas there are different expectations..
Greece Posts: 1800
€300.....are you kidding me? Is that what they expect? I hope my priest doent expect it. Was thinking of €20 for any alter servers there might be and €100 - 150 for priest )he is an old family friend as well). We are already paying €300 to use the church....the church is not a business? Its a sacred place of prayer and its for the purpose of celebrating mass and your faith as well as of course your marriage. I would rather give the priset the €300 rather than pay to use my own church but thats not an option. I think this is excessive to be honest but maybe I am completely off side - would be interested to hear more feedback!
KGB Posts: 102
At our pre-marriage course it was recommended that you add up the cost of everything including your honeymoon and think of a reasonable figure on teh scale of that to pay the priest, they recommended 1% which I don't think is excessive, for us that will mean €350. Think about it, the priest has to complete your paperwork, meet with you a number of times, get to know you, keep your date free, write a homily, do your rehearsal, recommend readings, read your booklet, I know it's not a money making racket but I think it's a small amount of money for teh amount of work involved. And on the scale of things, we don't mind throwing hundreds of euro on favours, canapes, chair covers, fireworks.....all the things that aren't necessary for getting married, however you can't get married without a priest (if you're getting married in a church!).....
Greece Posts: 1800
I take you point KGB but to me it seems that all those other things ae things we HAVE to pay for...well if you want them that is, like all the extras you mentioned - hose suppliers are in business to make money. BUT I think its making a mockery of the celebration of marriage if this too has turned into a money making racket. of all the things that you opt for on your big day this should be the one area that encourages you to remember that its not all about amerial things, its not about how you choose to celebrate your marriage thereafter but its actually about the commitment and the actual ceremny of marriage and the fact that now that cannot even be exempt from a price tag s kind of sad. Yes, I agree the priests are giving you their time etc but if you take it literally and look on their vocation as priests as jobs instead then they are already getting paid and this is part of their job description! I mean of course we will give the prist something, I'm not a big meanie or anything, but feel saddened that everything comes down to money nowadays and not you even have to pay for the honour of marrying. I do think €300 is excessive when added to €300 for th church hire, €50 for the sacristen, €30 for the reissue of baptismal and confirmation certs that you already have, €50 for alter boys, dinner for the prist - sure that about €800!! Sorry - minor rant there but it gets to me.
Sparkler Queen Sorry I should have said we dont pay for a fee for the church in our area the 300euro is the amount you give the church/priest in total... This amount is to cover church costs like the priest, electricity and maintenance of the church which I think is fair enough. In the great scheme of things I didnt think 300 was alot for this, so maybe the 300 you have paid already is suffice? But I am not sure of etiqutte in your area I am in Meath.. However I must say it was the best 300euro spent on the day, the church looked stunning and the priest said an wonderful mass which I will always remember.. Remember its your vows which is the main part of your day and 300-500 euro against 10,000 euro for a hotel is very minimul. I would do the church all over again as it was lovely :xxx but not sure about the meal as I couldnt move in my dress :o0
mrskelly Posts: 203
O:o)