How much water before scan?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bluebell07 Posts: 182
Hi, just wondering how much water should I drink before my scan and how long before it should I start so I'm not bursting.... :-8 [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/] [img:9ttzfjio]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;35;91/st/20071012/e/Scan/dt/6/k/4b0d/event.png[/img:9ttzfjio] [/url]
dovedro Posts: 1295
Hi Bluebell I had my second scan yesterday and I didn't have to drink any fluids for it. As far as I know you only need to drink for the first scan when the baby is quite small so that you can see it. At this stage the baby's big enough to be seen without a full bladder Good luck today :wv
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
It's so hard to judge. Twice I was told bladder not full enough and it's the worse thing cos it feels full. And as soon as they send you out you are bursting to go. This time around I prepared myself. I got one of those 1 litre bottles of water and drank it about 30mins before leaving house. Filled again and brought with me. I think the best thing you can do is fill your bladder, if you are sitting and waiting and bursting then you can go for a tiny pee, even letting the smallest bit out gives huge relief. Then come back out and drink more. I did this for 8 week and 12 week scan and was told I had a nice full bladder (on 12 week scan I let out small pee literally 2mins before getting scan). Just be warned you'll pee about every 15mins for about 3 hours after, just emptying your bladder :o0 HTH
swissgirl Posts: 2301
I had a scan last monday and was told to fill my bladder. I got up in the morning and (after being to the bathroom) had a cup of tea and a orange juice at the station I had another decaf coffee (grande starbucks). On the way in to the doctor I drank from a liter of water and was bursting by the time I got to hte doctor I had had 3/4s of that bottle and the girl at reception glanced at it and said dont drink anymore. I went into the doctor and he looked and said your bladder is too full empty half of it (so difficult what is half a bladder) so I went and pee'd (counted to 5). Went back in. Too Full again - go back and pee another half (!) I went and peed (counted to 4). Went back in with a completely normal bladder and he was said "Perfect". Weird. I was 10 weeks and 4 days at that point. HTH
theoracle Posts: 7664
You do not need a full bladder at a 20/21 week scan, they will most likely send you for a wee if you do have one. Full bladder is only need for early scans.
Idina Posts: 1289
I was todl I didn't have to drink any water before any of my scans-just whatever I normally would drink. I had my first scan at 12 weeks
wombats Posts: 665
I wasn't told anything for my scan (at 12+3) but drank loads anyway just in case. When I got to the docs, I couldn't hold it so just went to the toilet :-8 . She never mentioned it either way to me and we saw everything perfectly :o0
satsuma Posts: 182
Don't think you need to drink anything at about 20 weeks. When I went for my first one at 11 weeks, I was BURSTING and almost in pain. Not to mention the mortification when obst pointed it out on the screen!!!! :-8 :-8 :-8