How much wedding cake?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrsmcc2502 Posts: 497
We're inviting 190 people to our wedding but we think about 160 will come, and we're trying to work out what size of wedding cake to get - I don't think all the guests will eat the cake anyway so I was thinking of getting a cake for 130 guests? Is this an accurate estimation? I know at weddings, any young ones at my table rarely eat cake!
jenny7785 Posts: 158
Work out what design you want, how many tiers and pick the smallest sizes. We do alot of 6"/8"/10" cakes and trust me you won't run out. Fruit and biscuit are more expensive
MrsSparkle2B Posts: 1689
What some people do is they get a cake, say two or three tiers (the baker should be able to advise how much this will do) and then they get a tray bake or a cutting cake aswell to be served so theres enough for everyone.
Bridiekk Posts: 272
I agree with MrsSparkle2B! We're doing exactly that. The baker that we have booked has some amazing flavours so we're going to order 3 tiers and have our own fruit cake that myself and my mam will make and a chocolate biscuit cake too. This might also help - it's just one of loads of these types of guides online. Hope it helps! [img:2ymxjp8t]http://www.mycitycake.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Round%20cakes.jpg[/img:2ymxjp8t]
yumyumcake Posts: 293
I wouldn't take much notice of those charts, they are not geared for the way Irish wedding cake is served as finger food. Fruit or chocolate biscuit is cut the same 1"x1" max size so you would get 80/90 portions from a 10" round. 3 tiers of sponge in 6,8,10 would serve at least 110 minimum cut right, most hotels even cut the sponge in 1x1 in which case you will even get more portions. Unless you are having a large crowd or want some cake left for day after there should be no need for sheet cakes as well as main cake.
Jawl Posts: 8881
Wow, the size of my wedding cake had no link to how many guests we were having. It didn't even enter my head. I sent some wedding cake around to the aunts and uncles living locally when we came back from honeymoon. And one or two people who called. They cut one tier at the wedding for the evening reception but I couldn't tell you how many people had it. It wouldn't be something I'd go for at a wedding.
LadyLizzie Posts: 1724
Bear in mind some people might like to take home cake for people who couldn't attend etc. We ordered little cake boxes from Ebay so people could take cake home & enjoy it later, every single box & piece of cake vanished so at least it wasn't wasted!
yumyumcake Posts: 293
I thought the days of taking home wedding cake went out with the ark and fruit cake! I can't imagine a slice of sponge with buttercream would be looking too good after a night in a handbag :p
LadyLizzie Posts: 1724
You would be amazed!
Jawl Posts: 8881
Actually I tell a lie, we didn't cut the cake at all, they cut it next day as we were havign finger food in the honeymoon suite. I've never had wedding cake AT a wedding, let alone take it home. Well, not since 1979 anyway :yelrotflmaosmilie: