How often do you and DH sleep apart at home ?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

zoesmama Posts: 2774
Was visiting a friend during the week. She has hurt her back and I was helping her with some housework. They have a a big house - 5 bed and 3 kids. They use all 5 bedrooms and she and her DH sleep apart 5/6 nights a week. She stays in the Main Bedroom and he is in the Spare Room. Tbh I found this incredibly odd. I can count on 1 hand the number of nights DH and I have spent apart in our own house since we moved in here 9 years ago. So...... on an average week how often do you and your OH / DH spend apart but in the same house ??
macattack Posts: 1617
Well we're only married 7 months but so far we've been in the same bed every night. Even though he snores like a rhino O:|
black pearl Posts: 3513
never really, i slept in spare room when I had the bug as I didnt want to be annoying him getting u and down to loo, and once ot twice when dd has been sick I have slept with her, but other than that we never sleep apart, find this weird also. dh does shift work so gets up anywhere from 3am -04.30 but he gets changed in another room, I still wouldnt ask him to sleep elsewhere due to early starts. x
streaks Posts: 3592
Never! I wouldn't sleep properly with Dh in bed with me. The very rare occasion I'd be sick and unable to sleep Dh would go to the spare room reluctantly but he'd always be beside me when I'd wake up as he'd come back in the middle of the night if I was asleep.
holyshitballs Posts: 851
We generally wouldn't sleep apart at night at all. Last year we maybe spent 3 nights over the course of the year, where I was killed with toothache, getting zero sleep and was seriously considering smothering him in his sleep if he would not quit that loud, nasally, irritating snore of his. I still maintain I would have got off lightly at trial.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
If it works for them then why would you think it's odd? It depends on the reason the other person is sleeping in another room. If it is out of anger or a general sense of not wanting to share a bed with their spouse then yes that is a problem but there are many reasons why couples might want a bit of space. In the last 2 years, my OH has ended up in the spare room a bit if I'm honest as he snores VERY loudly. We tried all the gadgets and nothing works so I end up having to turf him out. It doesn't mean I don't love him or him me- it means that we both need to sleep and if he is snoring like a fog horn I won't sleep ( and if I am waking him every 10 mins to stop snoring he won't either). Also some night he works till the wee hours so he would just go into the spare room so as not to wake me. We have a great relationship and we are very happy together. Him spending a few nights in the spare room every week mean nothing in terms of the health of our relationship. If anything it helps it because we can both get some sleep!
piscesprincess Posts: 481
Never! Lived together 3.5 years now and I don't think we've ever stayed at home but not in the same bed. I wouldn't be able to sleep if I knew he was in the next room and not in with me
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
Aside from when I was running a high temperature and had the vomitting bug it would be never. To be honest, I'd just find it strange not to share the same bed when living together and in a relationship.
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
We only sleep apart if DH goes out drinking probalby once a month or 2. The snoring and leg kicking is something else after a few so I get no sleep. >:o( My grandparents and uncle and his wife sleep in seperate beds and have done for years, mainly due to snoring (my uncle is unreal!) . I dont think its odd as such as long as both partners are in agreement that it works for them for whatever reason and they are happy with it. My friend also often ends up staying in the main bed when the kids come wandering in in the middle of the night and her DH heads to the spare room.
SaraD08 Posts: 1795
Never, lived together for 12 years now and married over 4 and can honestly say never… :-8 But different strokes for different folks I guess whatever works O-O