How often do you dispose of makeup?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Momof2 Posts: 3884
So I bought new makeup today and was chatting to the girl about eyeshadows. I said I'd gotten a lovely set counter had out 2 years ago (it was a chrismas giftbox) and the look of horror on her face :-8 she said you shouldn't keep eyeshadows more than 12mths. She said most products should be replaced annually. Did I miss this day in school as I have much older eyeshadows :eek ( I won't divulge how old for fear of a how often do you change your bed sheets backlash ;o) ) Mascaras I do change a lot because I buy lots of different ones have never found 'the' one a But I keep lipsticks, eyebrow pencils, kohls, poweders and blushers. So whats the norm.
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
i keep all my make up till it runs out!!! foundation/mascara/concealer would be just over a year. don't really wear eyeshadow so i dread to think how old the ones in the bottom of my makeup bag are!! blusher/pencils could last for years :-8 :-8
streaks Posts: 3592
I wouldn't dispose of eyeshadows tbh, I always keep mine, they are the only items I wouldn't have finished within the recommends expiration times and they always go on perfectly and my eyelids haven't fallen off yet anyway :o0 I wash all my make up brushes regulary etc and once a product is ok I use it! I think her reaction was probably a bit dramatic, working on a makeup counter I'm sure she applies a full face everymorning whereas, personally I'd only use a few products each day and then do my full face for a night out so it would be unlikey for me to finish my eyeshadows within a year..
lux Posts: 6270
I'm very careful with mascara and eyeliners and change them every couple of months. I wear contacts and I don't think you can be too careful. I don't keep lip glosses or lipsticks for more than six months because I'm wary of germs. Foundation I use till it runs out. I think its really important to clean brushes/sponges regularly so I'm a divil for cleaning those.
hairdye Posts: 1129
Very interesting thread! Same as lux, I wear contact lenses so dispose of my mascara, eyeliner every couple of months. Eyeshadows I change once a year. Foundation lasts me about 3 months. As for lip glosses/lipsticks, well Im a bit of a lipstick whore, have loads, buys loads, keep them for years :-8 Better do a clear out! Although in fairness Im still alive, so the germs from them can't be that bad :o0
katiemomma Posts: 2690
I would throw out liquid eye liner and macara every few months as I use them the most. I use foundation til it runs out. Eyeshadows I have for years as I have some lovely sets I would only use a few out of and never touched most of them. I dont where lipstick at all or lip gloss. I have heard it before on tv though you should do a clear out every so often . more so on certain products but cant remember full details. I only wear a full face of makeup for a night out or a meeting/appointment. other than that I just do my eyes. So I couldnt be throwing things away as often as others would.
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
I use all make up until it runs out!! Wear foundation + powder most days but everything else, only wear on a night out! How often do ye clean your makeup brushes etc ?
cookiemad Posts: 917
foundations and mascara and lipglosses are the things i would replace most
MrsBraxton Posts: 4662
I'd replace foundation as it uses up (usually a few months or so) and then would dump mascara and liquid eyeliners after about 2 months as well as paranoid about getting anything in my eyes. Eyeshadows etc wouldn't get rid of them but use clean brushes (clean brushes regularly)
SandyClaws Posts: 3108
Til it runs out :-8 however many years that takes... I Finished a bottle of perfume last summer that I had since 2002 :eek