How to be a woman

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lux Posts: 6270
I read this on holiday and I'd recommend it to Wollies. Its by Caitlin Moran:http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jun/20/how-to-be-a-woman. Its very funny, insightful and while I didn't agree with everything she says, I was prompted to think "Hmm, that's a fair point". So it got me thinking, if you had to give a younger girl, say 13 and up, advice on How to be a woman, what would you say?
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
Hmmm.....first thought when I think of my younger cousins and conversations that we have had I would have a "don't feel that you have to" list in order to be a woman which seems to be what they are picking up around the age of 15/16: Don't feel you have to: Play dumb to be popular with your friends or boys, Cover your pretty face and skin in heavy makeup and fake tan - you really are beautiful as you are, Sleep with every lad that comes along (I'm still in shock about some things they tell me)
hestia Posts: 2368
Agreed. Recommended this on a few threads recently. A thought-provoking read.
jamjars Posts: 1721
It's funny because I have a sister this age so I constantly find myself giving her the advice I wished I could now tell my 13 year old self!! *) Try not to show bullies you care so much... seem blase about the whole thing and they'll get bored! *) People will spend their life trying to put you down. be aware that this is NOT in fact because they are jealous of you!! Its because some people are in fact just not nice... *) Be true to yourself but also be careful about who you put your neck out for... make sure they deserve your love & support. *) Puberty is a b*tch, you will get curves you never had, and yes... when you sit down - your thighs will spread! But please oh please put it into perspective! YOU ARE IN NO WAY FAT!!! You're teeny in fact!!
hestia Posts: 2368
[quote="lux":20jesdre] So it got me thinking, if you had to give a younger girl, say 13 and up, advice on How to be a woman, what would you say?[/quote:20jesdre] Don't have a ridiculously over-priced wedding and all the trappings that go with it. She elaborates well on this theme in the book. Might resonate with a few of you hehe.
I Dream in Disney Posts: 1592
[quote="jamjars":37ik29go] *) Try not to show bullies you care so much... seem blase about the whole thing and they'll get bored! [/quote:37ik29go] I still have to remember this. And it paid off over the last couple weeks. *) Figure out who[i:37ik29go] you[/i:37ik29go] are without having to be fulfilled by being in a relationship, or being drunk, or being 'wanted' *) If you want something, you have to work for it. Coasting will only get you so far. (not really how to be a grown-up, just something I wish I had known or had been battered into me when I was younger.) *) There will always be people who are prettier, smarter or more talented than you. But there is no-one that can be you more than you. Learn your strengths and weaknesses, use both to your advantage. *) It's never classy to cheat. Or to vomit in public.
jamjars Posts: 1721
[quote="mrssmith2be":1vs6v2qw][quote="jamjars":1vs6v2qw] *) Try not to show bullies you care so much... seem blase about the whole thing and they'll get bored! [/quote:1vs6v2qw] I still have to remember this. And it paid off over the last couple weeks. [/quote:1vs6v2qw] Sorry to hear that mrssmith2be! :action32
ianstuart Posts: 1947
I have a cousin and she is 19 now but in the last few years ive been giving her a lot of advice as she was coming dangerously close to leaving home. *) A night out does not mean you have to get hammered every time *) Short and low is not the only way to be sexy *) Sex is not love , sometimes its just sex.