How to cook a ....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lovehugs Posts: 72
Eye of the round roast. Just bought some in butchers as it was 50% off but now looking up receipes it looks like its not the best roast to do as can be very dry. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice how to cook this nicely???
Nostress Posts: 1606
Seal the whole thing on a REALLY hot pan first, then wrap in tinfoil and roast slowly. All the juice in the foil will keep in moist and make a nice gravy
Mari yay Posts: 4045
[quote="Nostress":3725qii2]Seal the whole thing on a REALLY hot pan first, then wrap in tinfoil and roast slowly. All the juice in the foil will keep in moist and make a nice gravy[/quote:3725qii2] +1 even using the tinfoil I'd be using a spoon or ladle to pour the juices over the roast each time I check on it's cooking.
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Have never heard of that cut before, so feel free to disregard what I'm about to suggest - but if you're afraid of it drying out, and if it needs long slow cooking, would you maybe consider making Boeuf Bourguignon or a tajine or something? It would be able to bubble away slowly for a few hours and get nice and tender, but the liquid would keep it nice and moist.
I had to google tajine as wasn't sure what it was - mmm good idea. I know I fell for the 50% off sticker was €20 reduced to €10 and was thinking as not going anywhere at weekend it be nice to do a nice roast on sunday. Thanks for advice everyone will let you know how I get on.
MinnietheMinx Posts: 2396
My mam found a recipe for this once she liked the look of, she poured most of a bottle of red wine in with it and I think had carrots, onions, leeks etc in with it. Maybe google pot roast recipes?
Shells Bells Posts: 650
My mam always does an eye of the round for the Sunday roast. As far as I know she just places it in a roasting pan, puts it into a hot oven and then reduces the temp after a while. It's always lovely but never dry. It's a really nice cut of beef. Let us know how it goes.
SGirl Posts: 2542
Ican't comment on that cut as i haven't cooked it but when i make roast beef i put it on two onions that are cut in half to raise it up and then put water to the level of the onions and then tin foil on top, that way it never drys out but doesnt boil in the water either as its raised above it, also the juices dont burn out as they are mixed with the water and the onions add flavour to the juices too, then you have a lovely base for gravy. Yes.... i am obsessed with sunday roasts, it has taken some time to perfect it!
LeonardandPenny Posts: 2684
[quote="Mari yay":2iw4itm5][quote="Nostress":2iw4itm5]Seal the whole thing on a REALLY hot pan first, then wrap in tinfoil and roast slowly. All the juice in the foil will keep in moist and make a nice gravy[/quote:2iw4itm5] +1 even using the tinfoil I'd be using a spoon or ladle to pour the juices over the roast each time I check on it's cooking.[/quote:2iw4itm5] +1 on the pouring the juices over the roast when checking. my mam does eye of the round as do I and I love it!!, little be red its sooooooooooo nice!! :o0
Thanks for all the good advice. I ended up sealing it in a pan and then putting into oven dish with water and onions in it and covering with tinfoil and putting in over for 2.5 hours. We went for lovely walk on beach and then came back and done veg and roasties and my sister and hubby called over for dinner. I have to say meat turned out lovely and tender and everyone cleared their plates (which I took as a good sign) and they said it was goreous. Turned out to be a nice relaxing Sunday .......until the Ireland match and then went downhill from there.