How to cook the perfect roast potato?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MarieB Posts: 556
Girls, I need some help with roast potatos. I can never get them right, and hubby says "they do not taste good" :shock: I am having a special dinner for my parents next week, who will be 30 years married, and as they love my roast beef, I want to cook it for them, with all the trimmings, so I need you to tell me how you get really nice crispy roast pops. What type of potato do you use? Do you use the fat off the joint, or oil (sunflower or olive?). I'd appreicate any help/tips you can give me. P.S. Are potatos ok for roasting now, or are they still too new?
buddingmrs Posts: 322
You can roast new spuds, they're lovely and sweet and you dont have the bother of peeling. Old spuds: Peel, boil them for 5 mins, drain them well and shake the pot around to rough the edges. Have your oil/meat drippings very hot- it should sizzle when you put the spuds in. I do mine at around 220 but thats not a fan oven. roast them for about an hour and they're lovely and crispy and fluffy inside. If he likes soggy chewy ones than dont parboil them and keep the oven to around 180-200, NB if he persists with complaints tell him to roast his own f*****g spuds :D
Mstique Posts: 175
I'm far from an expert but I follow Jamie Olivers receipe and they taste delicious! You par boil them with cloves of garlic, then when they are par boiled you drain them, save the garlic and start bashing the potatoes around the pot. This fluffs them up and gives you crispy roast potatoes. Then you transfer them to an oven dish, drizzle with olive oil, add the garlic cloves and maybe sprinkle some rosemary on them. Think they need to roast for 45 mins. HTH, they are always lovely for us anyway!
50cent Posts: 264
ROAST POTATOES Peel and cut into large cubes, 3 to 4 pounds of potatoes (about 8). Spray bottom of roasting pan with Pam. Melt 1/4 cup butter. Pour 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix in a plastic bag. Put raw potatoes into plastic bag and shake. Remove the potatoes from the plastic bag and place into the baking dish and spread evenly. Pour butter over potatoes. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, turning occasionally
AGuest Posts: 1262
I do the exact same as buddingmrs - got the recipe from the Nigel Slater book (which is fab btw!). The recipe never fails - simple & perfect :D
MarieB Posts: 556
Ah thanks girls - however, the garlic/rosemary/soup mixture are all out I'm afraid - hubby can't eat butter, and my dad can't eat garlic :shock: [quote:cgiv2lm5]NB if he persists with complaints tell him to roast his own f*****g spuds [/quote:cgiv2lm5] :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks buddingmrs, any more comments on my roasting skills, and I might try that just to see the :shock: on his face.
lilyjune Posts: 470
If you like the crispy ones, orange around the edges, do exactly as buddingmrs says.. Yummy. I LOVE roast potatoes.. Use ordinary vegetable oil or sunflower oil (not olive) but make sure it's hot, hot, hot.. They should bite you back when you put them in.. (well, that's what my Mum always told me :oops: ) However, some people prefer the other style of roast potato, the one you're more likely to get in a pub roast lunch and again as buddingmrs says, just peel them and then put them straight in the oven..
naynay Posts: 107
Wow! The amazing things you can learn on WOL!!!!! Great tip! :D
Strawberry Posts: 148
I would do the same as Buddingms except I roll the parboiled spuds in flour before putting them in the roasting tin. It gives a nice crust on the outside and they are lovely and soft inside..o my God I'm SO hungry now
SandraM Posts: 1112
Here's what I do: Peel and cut the potatoes into fairly small chunks. Boil them for 5-10 minutes. Drain tham and make sure they are well dried out. Add Flora sunflower oil (I also like to add some dried rosemary to add a nice taste to them). Cover the saucepan and, like the other posters say - shake like mad!! Put into a pre-heated oven (about 180 C) and cook for an hour or so. I have to say - I do pride myself on my roast potatoes! (How sad am I?! :roll: :lol: )