how to cut ribbon on diy invites?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ros33 Posts: 202
hey guys, was going to put this in another thread but thought i'd get more response this way. I am making my own invitations and i would love to hear how you can cut the ribbon off without it fraying. The ribbon is a strip up the side and if i go all round it will be dearer i know not much but it would. So, i have tried cutting it off the top and every time it frays - i have a sharp scissors any ideas greatly appreciated ros33
vidia Posts: 2960
We got ribbon for DIY invites and it completely frayed, binned it!! Sorry but Im no help on this one :o(
abeautifulceremony Posts: 263
Hi ladies, Found this on a website.. maybe it will help? To finish, heat-seal the edges of the ribbon so they don’t fray. To do this, carefully wave the edge near a candle flame so that the heat of the flame slightly melts, but doesn’t burn (I've tried to attach a picture.. hopefully it'll work for you!!) [attachment=0:x73i6kq1]heat-seal-grosgrain-ribbon-1_1-120X120.jpg[/attachment:x73i6kq1] I would have suggested to cut the end of the ribbon in a "V" shape - then use a tiny dab of superglue to stick the points of the "V" onto the paper.. :wv
CakesAndFavours Posts: 66
Agree with Abeautiful ceremony, heat sealing the edges is the only way. We use one of those long bic lighters for lighting gas. Practice a few times as you only need to move it once in a fluid motion across the flame. Practice will show you how quickly to move. Its just one of those things with ribbons expecially for ribbon wider than 10mm.
ros33 Posts: 202
that's great guys, thanks a million, will try that tonight!
shazza k Posts: 525
hiya heating it is the only way. it is easiest if you do it over a candle as it is a more steady flame than a lighter. just bairly do it so the ends melt slightly. its really easy and the best way.