How to find out details on Photographer?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

im waiting Posts: 2727
Early on in my Wedding organising I got onto a few photographers asking them what they could offer me with my Budget! One in particular got onto me offering a good deal (I thought at the time but Im not so sure now) so after meeting up with him we booked him and paid a deposit. He's not a Photographer registered on WOL but was, as far as I know when I came across him. I check his website regularly to see if he has updated it with recent Weddings but he might have done 2 this year! I have never heard of anyone mention him on this website, Ive asked a few times for feedback from people and never got anything. I have had a feeling all along that I might be making a mistake by booking him as I dont know anyone that has used him. From what I can see on his website, his pictures arent overly flattering and this is something I want in my pictures because I hate that Im so small, butty and I hate my arms so to see me the I am when I look in the mirror- in my pictures (if that makes sense) will make it totally not worth the money we are paying. His pictures just look like pictures anyone could take but when we viewed his photo albums he made up, we were happy with what we seen but thinking of it now, they didnt have the WOW factor, just like any other album I could put together myself. Ive checked google expecting it to bring up some stories from previous people that used him but nothing comes up. Is their any way I can get more info on him from somewhere else to possibly get feedback from his work? Im just dreading him coming along the Wedding and taking crap pictures and also Im dreading that he wont turn up as he doesnt do this job on a full time basis but was hoping to start up Wedding PHotography on a more full time basis the last time I was talking to him a year and a half ago What do I do?
mrdvd Posts: 649
If you want to find out about any supplier, post a note in the Feedback section of the site. All you need to do is name the person- no need to go into your reasons for checking out the supplier. Rgds Martin
LittleLily Posts: 3682
I'm waiting, I coulc have written that post myself. We're in the exact same situation. Its been slightly amplified since yesterday since I was talking to my friend who used our photographer for her wedding in May and she warned us to be careful as they weren't happy with their pictures at all. Also our wedding is next week.... so I think we're stuck.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
How much deposit have you paid? if you feel this unsure about the photographer maybe sacrifice your deposit if it wasn't too much? If it's going to be an issue that will worry you up to and on the day then i'd maybe look around for someone else, not point stressing yourself over something that you can change!
Crostini Posts: 1105
maybe try posting asking for feedback again and see. perhaps some of the other vendors such as videographers etc may have worked with him at some weddings and maybe able to advise! Littlelily,omg your wedding is only a week away! what photographer did you choose in the end? Did you get all the dresses finished?
lux Posts: 6270
I would be very wary of someone who has no feedback. Now fair enough, people have to start somewhere and many people would be happy to pay less for someone who is not as well known or established. However, I really prioritised photos and DVD as after the day is over that's kinda all you have to keep (apart from the Hubby!!). My mum is still upset about her wedding photos 30 years on as the guy was a chancer who gave them a good deal, but they were chasing the pictures for a year and never realy got a "proper" album, just an envelope of pictures, one a few of which are actually nice. She never put any up in the house, even though she's not terribly sentimental I know it bothers her. I did a thorough search for ALL my suppliers, googled other sites for reviews, PMd a few wollies and asked friends who've gotten married what they'd recommend. I don't think you can do too much research and if you're not happy with the guy you've booked I would not be afraid to change, even if it meant losing a deposit. I am getting married in six months and all but one supplier (not just photos, DVD, venue, DJ, make up, hair etc) are free on my day so its not as hard as people might think to make a change at this stage, you've a few months to go so something to think about.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Like another poster said, if you're not happy, could you sacrafice the deposit and get someone else? I don't want to steer you down the wrong path, it's totally your decision, but you don't sound happy at all in your post pet. We're on an incredibly strict budget and so did loads of research beforehand and met with our suppliers personally so that we'd be ultra happy with everything. We've paid out a good number of deposits but even saying all that, if someone let us down or was exposed as not being the real deal, we would sacrafice the deposit to get someone we were happy with. I'm not one to throw away money, at all, we've accounted for literally every stamp and envelope, but your photos are a huge part of the day so I'd rather cut favours or pew ends or something, sacrafice a couple of hundred euro of a deposit, and start again.
Bellisima Posts: 3583
[quote="Smileykaz":1mfqmtb0]Like another poster said, if you're not happy, could you sacrafice the deposit and get someone else? I don't want to steer you down the wrong path, it's totally your decision, but you don't sound happy at all in your post pet. We're on an incredibly strict budget and so did loads of research beforehand and met with our suppliers personally so that we'd be ultra happy with everything. We've paid out a good number of deposits but even saying all that, if someone let us down or was exposed as not being the real deal, we would sacrafice the deposit to get someone we were happy with. I'm not one to throw away money, at all, we've accounted for literally every stamp and envelope, but your photos are a huge part of the day so I'd rather cut favours or pew ends or something, sacrafice a couple of hundred euro of a deposit, and start again.[/quote:1mfqmtb0] +1 Couldnt have said it better. I also think photos are really really important and I agree with Lux, you'll have them forever. You dont want a permanent reminder of an unfortunate decision, you want to have reminders of your special day that you love looking at.
mrsG2b2011 Posts: 748
sent you a pm
im waiting Posts: 2727
[quote="mrdvd":1j1c3dl8]If you want to find out about any supplier, post a note in the Feedback section of the site. All you need to do is name the person- no need to go into your reasons for checking out the supplier. Rgds Martin[/quote:1j1c3dl8] I have actually posted on a few occasions asking for feedback and no one replied! While searching google yesterday for any type of feedback on the Photographer, I found 1 girl who also asked for feedback and got no reply, this was posted in 2008! I could be wrong, he could be brilliant and he did show us one album he did in our Hotel, he could do a great job but what keeps playing around in my mind is that I know no one who has used him, you'd think atleast 1 Wolly of all the Wollies on this Website would know him. I have paid €500 deposit and can not afford to give it up as we would not able to afford to pay full whack for another Photographer. We are on a tight budget also!