how to score cardboard....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Beaubelle Posts: 741
Hey there :wv Am making my own invites etc, but was wondering what people have been using to score the cardboard....I know it sounds stingy but I'm trying to avoid spending anymore on my stationery as I'm trying desperately to stick to a budget. I know there are those special scoring knives that you can buy, but does anyone know of anything that works just as well, that I may have lying around the house???!!!
Mrs. Ash Posts: 1168
Hey beaubelle, Don't know exactly what you mean, with the scoring, but why don't you try first use a butter knife, you know the ones that would be fairly blunt, if you're looking to get a more rippled effect or if your looking to actually make small cuts in the cardboard, get yourself a sharp knife, or a stanley knife would be better, but be careful with the amount of pressure you put on the knife or it will go straight through it!! :o)ll Sorry if I'm getting technical, I'm an artist so am always getting down to the nitty-gritty!! Hope this helps, and I am making sense?!! pm me if you have any more queries! :wv
Gonetopasturesgreener Posts: 3556
Thats what I did...back edge of a butter knife guided by a ruler. Put something under it to give it a bit of give iykwim...like a thin magazine or a soft ish table mat.
Italy07 Posts: 5409
I am going to start making my Thank you cards in the next few days and I was thinking of the butter knife aswell, hopefully it will work ok.
SparklyBride1234 Posts: 13
Where did you buy the materials to make your invitations? If it was Daintree then you can go in and use their scoring machine. They will set it up for you and give you instructions on how to use it and then you just work away yourself. Its brilliant. The invites look very professional afterwards.