How to tell work

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs Maternal Posts: 268
Hi I was just wondering if you have any advice on how to tell work you are pregnant, I know I will get SMP but not entitled to anything else but really don’t know what way they will take it. I kinda work in a strangely run place and have just completed my probation period a month ago. Should I be worrying about this? Surely they can’t let me go if I am doing my job just because I am pregnant? All advice/experiences welcome. Also do you need to give them something written at this stage or not? Thanks
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
No they can't let you go I don't think,how long gone are you? I'm not sure when to say it either but its only me in the office
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
:-8 sorry 15w2days :duh:
Mrs2008 Posts: 812
Hi MM - i think i told my boss around the 16 week mark - the only reason i did was it was coming up to christmas and i was starting to show - now he wasn't ecstatic but i didn't give a shit. dont worry - he cant fire you. If its worrying you tell him and get it over with. Its never as bad as you think it will be. :wv
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Hi Mrs Maternal, I have no advice I'm afraid for you, but I guess there's no two ways of telling people really, I can't imagine them letting you go though, especially if you have finished your probation period. Good luck in any case, maybe some of the other girls will have more advice.
Mrs Lucy06 Posts: 929
I didnt tell my boss until I was 15 weeks and had my first scan. I am the only one in the office too so felt a bit guilty, but what can I do, they will have to get someone to cover me while I am away, but I will be coming back. One things for def your employer cant sack you for being pregnant!! Lucy
Tedsters Posts: 1688
Mrs Maternal - my work environment is grand so it was easy enough for me to let work know. If your work is indeed 'strangely run' then there is a no easy way to tell them I guess - maybe a quick meeting privately with the boss. Above all you have nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about. As you probably know already legally you have rights and are protected so have nothing to worry about.
lenadmp Posts: 139
It was easy for me Im a dentist and I work for my husband. :o)ll
Mrs Neadi* Posts: 1128
I can't WAIT to be able to tell them !! the MINUTE I get back from the scan (all going well) i'l be in telling them haha, count down to leaving work , i mean, my beautiful baby begins :o0 tho if they haven't copped by now they are abit thick, tho an office of men, they probably wouldnt !!
Tigletts Posts: 2904
[quote="lenadmp":1iir1oxq]It was easy for me Im a dentist and I work for my husband. :o)ll[/quote:1iir1oxq] Ohhh Lenadmp.... is your boss tough to work for ? :o0 :o0