HS

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

pleasegod Posts: 29
Hi girls,
CherylC Posts: 1071
Its a hard decision alright and everyone has different opinions on it. I went private in H*less St and was very happy with it. You are right on the aspects you list below for private. You don't necessarily get extra appointments - everyone has a fairly standard schedule of appointments especially later in the pregnancy (20,24,28,30,32,34,36, 37,38,39,40 weeks), but with private every appointment is with the consultant in his rooms and you get a scan. You may also get seen once or twice more early in the pregnancy eg a 12 and 16 weeks appointment in Private, while with SP you'd probably only get one of those as a first booking visit. With semi-private you don't get a scan each time (and you may optionally wish to do combined care where every 2nd appointment is with the GP). However, i believe with semi-private you can indeed choose your consultant. You call the booking office and request the one you want, and obviously then it depends on availability but if you're still early you should be ok. It may be the case that not every consultant does semi-private but the majority of them do. However, as you correctly state you may not necessarily meet them at every visit and they won't be there at the birth (unless they happen to be on duty at that time). I'm not sure if there would be the consultant on duty there at the birth or if the midwife would just deliver the baby if things are going to plan. (To be honest in private my consultant was there but he literally did nothing and just watched while the midwife delivered the baby - however, he did stitch me up afterwards). Best of luck with your decision.
Thanks a mill Cheryl for that O-O
Daff Posts: 11644
I went SP first time round. YOu get to choose your consultant. There are queues but if you're there early you'll fly by. Was never there more than 20 mins. BUT you literally are in there 60 seconds. You go in, hop on table, get prodded and that's it. IMO it's a waste of money and you have to trek into HS for the appointment (I did combined care so every second visit was with GP). You also have to pay for your big scan. I was in a 6 bed ward after but was home that afternoon - I wasn't hanging around. Second time I went with the commuinty midwives. TBH I think midwives are brilliant. They're the ones that spend time with pregnant women and who do all the work! You go to hospital for first appointment and see consulatant. Then you can go to the midwife clinic after that. Mine was 10 mins from teh house! I was a SAHM with dd1 and was great that I could bring her with me. YOu have a 15 min appointment and there's never any waiting. You can really talk to them about yoru pregnancy and they ask you loads and really engage with you. On first apopintment with them dd1 was 14 months and she sat up on the table with me and got to use the doppler to hear dd2's heartbeat. It was a wonderful memory and would never have happened with the consultant! Once you go into labour ou're treated the same regardless of private, SP or midwives. Same midwives, same delivery room, same care apart from consultant popping in to delvier baby if you're private but even then unless something goes wrong it's mainly the midwive that does all the work. When it comes to delviering a baby money will not stand in the way of you getting the best care as they put all babies lives as equal importance. dd2 was born at 6.25am and I was home by 4pm that afternoon in my own bed, my own shower and a Dominos :o0
Thanks Daff, that sounds like a lovely experience for you, have heard great things also about the midwife scheme. Unfortunately, that option is out as we conceived through IVF so essentially not a regular low risk pregnancy as it did involve a medical procedure. Glad you were happy with it, thanks for taking the time to reply
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
[quote="Daff ":2819lmsz]On first apopintment with them dd1 was 14 months and she sat up on the table with me and got to use the doppler to hear dd2's heartbeat. It was a wonderful memory and would never have happened with the consultant! [/quote:2819lmsz] not a doppler but DS came with us to our first appoinment and our consultant was great at including him, explaining that the thing he was putting on my tummy would help us see the baby and showing him the baby on the scan etc. OP i went private both times and would again. i had a tough enough time of it to get DS out and it was great going back on my second pregnancy and my consultant knowing everything that had happened and more importantly how i felt about it all, as he knew me. could ring anytime with a question/concern and get an answer/reassurance straight away. a doctor friend once said to me as well that the main reason to go private is to ensure a consultant stitches you up if needs be. the private room is not guaranteed but in a recession chances are you'll get one (don't know anyone who hasn't the last few years) and it is a godsend. cannot imagine having to share a room and bathroom with other mums and babies having just given birth/had a c-section. i wouldn't go private just for the room, the care is what's important to me, but it's a massive massive bonus. on DS i went for my 6 week check up with the consultant in his semi private clinic as the time just suited me better (was in getting DS's check up) and it was a nightmare, loads of women and their partners in a prefab with not enough chairs and they seemed to be in and out so fast after waiting hours. i think for me if i wasn't going private i'd go public/midwives. huge congrats by the way!
Thanks a mill for the info Babyblabber, I never even thought of the aftercare, didn't realise you brought the baby back for checkups! If you are semi private, do u know who would stitch you up if need be? And finally, sorry have one more ques if you don't mind- when you're private is your first scan around the 12 week mark, the dating scan? Is this the first scan or could you go to the cons for an earlier one if you wanted and this would be included in the price? Just wondering cos I've already gone to a private clinic and paid for a 6 wk scan and am thinking of booking another one nxt wk at 8 weeks for peace of mind more than anything. Thanks a mill for the advice O-O
CherylC Posts: 1071
Re aftercare, both you and the baby get a 6 week check up. If you're private yo go back to your consultant for your check up (included in fee). The baby is offered a check up with the paediatrian in h*lles st (for 100 euro!). Alternatively you can bring baby to gp at 2 and 6 weeks for free under combined care. In private your first appointment is a dating scan around 11-12 weeks. Typically you don't get anything before that in a normal pregnancy.(I'd had a previous miscarriage so he did give me a quick free scan at 9 weeks). If you're going to h*lles st I'd recommend the merrion fetal clinic which is part of the private consultants clinic so your records will be there etc (anyone can pay for a scan there). Regarding stitching in sp, I believe it would typically be the doctor on duty who would do it.
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
Yeah first scan at 10-11 weeks but you could always ask. The secretaries are lovely, so easy to talk to so you could explain it's an ivf pregnancy and maybe they would bring you in earlier. My SIL always has one at 8 weeks with her consultant as her first pregnancy ended in miscarriage so they do do them. A registrar does the stitching if you're not private so a more junior doctor (not saying it wouldn't be good but the more experience the better when stitching up my private parts I think!!!) The baby's 6 week check up can be with your GP normally, although again I chose to pay the €100 for a consultant check up for DS. With DD she had to go to ICU for 14 hours thr day after she was born and once they've been to ICU the 6 week check up has to be with a consultant in Holles st. At your expense but I would have done it anyway.
Thanks for all the info girls, must get on the phone! x