hurl - what's in our food

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Anonymous Posts: 24542
Reading a report today in the indo about manufacturers increasing the fat/sugar content in their food to make it more palatable. One paragraph in particular caught my eye "Dairylea triangles from Kraft meanwhile have 15 calories more per 100g since 2001. Even more surprisingly, their main ingredient is no longer cheese, which now accounts for just 16pc of the total product. " Isn't that so disturbing?
dreamer Posts: 3941
Its not that suprising though!
willful Posts: 6822
Mr. W told me that he saw a programme about that Yakult kind of stuff and it said that the original bacteria for the 'friendly bacteria' is actually extracted from human faeces and then cultured :eek :eek :eek :hic Blllleeeeeeuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhh-vomit
Shin Posts: 8515
see what ya mean but i agree it's not that surprising. I steer clear of 'low fat', 'reduced fat' products. To be honest i don't go by calories eating healthily, i go by ingredients. If i'm eating butter i'd rather eat real butter with the basic ingredients as opposed to flora, low low, benecol or the likes. If you can't pronounce the ingredients (eh chemicals) in it then don't buy it. These weight watcher meals are great for counting points and i won't deny it but do you ever read the sh*t that's put in them?? Same with de-caffeinated coffee. I'd prefer to drink coffee with the proper beans then any of that de-caff crap as what did they put in it to decaffeinate it is what i want to know. My theory is anything that grows from the earth in its natural purest state is good for you no matter what the calories, and anything that's processed, man made or laiden with transfats is bad for you. It's simple really.
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
shin are actimels alright??? this is disgusting!! not too shocked about the dairylea because its only processed "cheese" but its a bit disturbing over the yakults!! [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/] [img:1zvo2yyy]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10716;116/st/20080901/e/Our+Wedding/dt/5/k/bd51/event.png[/img:1zvo2yyy] [/url]
shobie Posts: 1437
Oh god girls morning sickness in full flow....really should not have read this post. :eek :eek
stockbroking bride Posts: 2642
[quote="Shin":18qo28wi]see what ya mean but i agree it's not that surprising. I steer clear of 'low fat', 'reduced fat' products. To be honest i don't go by calories eating healthily, i go by ingredients. If i'm eating butter i'd rather eat real butter with the basic ingredients as opposed to flora, low low, benecol or the likes. If you can't pronounce the ingredients (eh chemicals) in it then don't buy it. These weight watcher meals are great for counting points and i won't deny it but do you ever read the sh*t that's put in them?? Same with de-caffeinated coffee. I'd prefer to drink coffee with the proper beans then any of that de-caff crap as what did they put in it to decaffeinate it is what i want to know. My theory is anything that grows from the earth in its natural purest state is good for you no matter what the calories, and anything that's processed, man made or laiden with transfats is bad for you. It's simple really.[/quote:18qo28wi] And you're just soo fit and healthy!!!!
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
oh shobie you poor thing!! :thnk these things make my stomach turn!! [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/] [img:1zeypt6p]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10716;116/st/20080901/e/Our+Wedding/dt/5/k/bd51/event.png[/img:1zeypt6p] [/url]
NowGone Posts: 8042
Virtually all processed foods are full of a combo of 3 things - salt, sugar and preservatives. Salt and fat makes food taste nice, and preservatives...well, that's self explanatory. As they say, "Good food goes bad", ie, it shoulf be starting to rot after a few days. Otherwise it's been treated in some way.
Shin Posts: 8515
[quote="stockbroking bride":3ju82o1a][quote="Shin":3ju82o1a]see what ya mean but i agree it's not that surprising. I steer clear of 'low fat', 'reduced fat' products. To be honest i don't go by calories eating healthily, i go by ingredients. If i'm eating butter i'd rather eat real butter with the basic ingredients as opposed to flora, low low, benecol or the likes. If you can't pronounce the ingredients (eh chemicals) in it then don't buy it. These weight watcher meals are great for counting points and i won't deny it but do you ever read the sh*t that's put in them?? Same with de-caffeinated coffee. I'd prefer to drink coffee with the proper beans then any of that de-caff crap as what did they put in it to decaffeinate it is what i want to know. My theory is anything that grows from the earth in its natural purest state is good for you no matter what the calories, and anything that's processed, man made or laiden with transfats is bad for you. It's simple really.[/quote:3ju82o1a] And [b:3ju82o1a]your[/b:3ju82o1a] just soo fit and healthy!!!![/quote:3ju82o1a] Actually stocky I am and I won't apologise for it either :thnk Bar the odd binge on a Big Mac once in a blue moon, I’m pretty healthy. I don't believe in loading my body with carcinogenic foods and chemicals as part of a regular diet and I also regularly take cardiovascular exercise. I'm surprised that you're not of my school of thought SBB, what with you being a top class bun baker in your league. Oh and I hate to pick you up on your spelling and grammar but 'YOUR' is the possessive pronoun and 'YOU'RE' is YOU ARE. For this boo-boo, I suggest you start consuming the omega's SBB.....excellent for a brain power boost