Hymns for Catholics & Protestants

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

eclair Posts: 243
Im looking for some hymns that both Catholics and Protestants would know to be able to sing them. Any suggestions?
SiobhanOliverSoprano Posts: 3150
hi Eclair - here's a few to get you started Abide With Me Morning Has Broken Give Me Joy In My heart The Lord is my Shephard Be Thou My Vision Amazing Grace Make Me A Channel of your Peace Just rushing out the door but I'll come back to you later. Good luck getting the catholics to sing >:o) Siobhan
Stella Bass Posts: 446
[quote:2b2oipis]Good luck getting the catholics to sing [/quote:2b2oipis] :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: Hi Siobhan, That cracked me up - how true it is! The first time I performed at a CoI ceremony I was amazed at the level of voices coming from the congregation!!!
Ryan Morgan Posts: 135
Don't know if it's a Catholic thing ... I'm a Welsh Catholic and we used to sing all the time. Don't know why nobody sings over here.... Ryan
Ryan Morgan Posts: 135
How about: Bread of Heaven ('cos I'm Welsh!) I the Lord of Sea and Sky Morning has broken All Things Bright and Beautiful On Eagle's Wings Sing Hosanna (Give me joy in my heart, keep me praising....) There's loads! Will try to think of some more Ryan
Stella Bass Posts: 446
You could be right Ryan - the same theory applies even to the spoken responses!!
AliceB Posts: 495
[quote="Ryan Morgan":3ew6lbyl]How about: Bread of Heaven ('cos I'm Welsh!) I the Lord of Sea and Sky [b:3ew6lbyl]Morning has broken[/b:3ew6lbyl] All Things Bright and Beautiful On Eagle's Wings Sing Hosanna (Give me joy in my heart, keep me praising....) There's loads! Will try to think of some more Ryan[/quote:3ew6lbyl] Sorry, can I jump in on thread there. Is this the one that Cat Steven's does? I absolutely love it and would really like to walk up the aisle to it but wasn't sure how ok that would be?
I've sung Morning Has Broken at a few weddings - no problem at all with it as far as I'm aware! Still don't have that number for you AliceB but hopefully soon!! Siobhan
[quote="Ryan Morgan":305rhim3]Don't know if it's a Catholic thing ... I'm a Welsh Catholic and we used to sing all the time. Don't know why nobody sings over here.... Ryan[/quote:305rhim3]my mum's a Scottish Catholic and they all sing there too - it's an Irish Catholic thing! put us all in a pub and we'll sing all night but not in the church :o0 How Great Thou Art is another that both sides should know Here's a website with hundreds of hymns on it by the way - might give you some more inspiration Siobhan
Kingston Design Posts: 895
Ok, just counted up there and myself and H have counted that there were exactly 14 Protestants out of 100 at our wedding in a Methodist church-we had Be Thou My Vision and Amazing Grace and we were literally amazed at how many people sang! We really were expecting it to be just me, the minister and H mouthing the words :o0 Not sure how suitable the hymns were for a marriage ceremony but we didn't care as long as people sang! We also had everyone warned to sing or they weren't being fed at the reception :o0 Eclair, I should have my internet properly working in the next couple of days and I promise I'll email you the mass booklet-I found a spare copy of the actual booklet and felt so guilty but thought you'd prefer the computer version in case you want to use it as a template. *)