Menu

Hyperemesis sufferer :(

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

chicam Posts: 1169
Hi all, I'm 11 weeks pregnant & have been suffering with hyperemesis since about week 4. I just thought I'd post to see if there's any fellow sufferers out there because I am beginning to crack up! I've been off work for 5 weeks and am just about able to watch TV in bed/couch but not much else, I have all the usual symptoms of hyperemesis; not able to eat/drink, dehydration etc. etc. and while I'm under close supervision by my GP and am doing everything I should be doing it's not getting better and I'm getting depressed being off work doing nothing all day long, at this point I'm so sick I can't even get excited about baby's arrival. Just wondered if there's anyone else out there for a little support/advice on how long this may last - Doc says another few weeks but I've read it can go on the whole time.
roxychick Posts: 1802
You poor thing, I feel your pain. I had it really bad too. Eased off around wk 16. I know it feels like it will never end but it will. Once I started feeling better it never came back. I just wanted to die somedays. I'm 33 weeks and not a bother so fingers crossed for u. I was off work for 4 months. Lucozade sport was easy enough to keep down. Found as it went on I could eat in the evenings. Didn't even try to force myself early in the day. Best of luck. I know right now u don't think it but it will pass.
sinion Posts: 6050
oh god I feel your pain :o( I started vomiting about 6 weeks and unfortunately it's only now fully leaving at 19 weeks. At the worst I was like you, literally unable for anything but bed/toilet/bed, somedays I couldn't even make it to the toilet and would just keep a basin by the bed and vomit every few minutes into it (it was so bad that even though my stomach would be empty i'd just be vomiting up my own saliva that i'd swallowed). I was off work for about 3 weeks but when I went back it was a nightmare trying to manage working and vomiting all day, but my boss knew from early on so he went very easy on me and let me go early a lot. I shouldn't have gone back to work, my doctor didn't want me to but like you I just felt so depressed at home all the time, especially as I couldn't even break up the day by going out for a walk or to the shops as i'd just be vomiting anywhere I went. Here's how it broke down for me thereabouts, 6 - 13 weeks = vomiting all day everyday 13 to 16 weeks = vomiting once a day 16 weeks to 19 weeks = vomiting once every few days so I promise, it does get better, even if it hangs around it does ease. Last week I cooked for the first time since 6 weeks and yesterday we used the oven in the house for the first time in 2 months, I just couldn't bear the smell up til now, as soon as it went on i'd vomit. The only thing I got relief with was acupunture. It didn't stop the nausea, but when I had it done I wouldn't vomit for about 4 days after which was just such a major relief. There were times when i'd spent the day over the toilet bowl just crying all day and wishing I wasn't pregnant anymore, it's so awful and i hated myself for thinking it but it's totally normal to feel that way! But when I got my first proper kick from the baby the other day, I swear it makes it all so worthwhile. So just hang in there, I promise it will ease. I remember people telling me that so many times and I just wanted to say 'well it must have been different for you as this feels like it will never end', and I honestly believed that I'd be that way for the rest of my life, it just went on for so long. So it's a massive relief to say that yes, it does end! I can eat normally now, I can almost cook most days, smells aren't as toxic as they were and I even enjoyed a glass of wine at the weekend! as Roxy said, don't force anything, if there is something you feel like eating then just stick with that, for a while I ate nothing but racheros all day, they were the only thing that stayed down. Oirish went through a phase were the only thing she could keep down were Mcdonalds cheeseburgers so she lived on them. Oh and sleep sleep sleep, if I don't get a good night's sleep I'll spend the day vomiting. Best of luck, just go very easy on yourself :xxx
Thank you sooooooooo much both of you for taking the time to share your experience, makes me feel like maybe I'm not losing it after all and there may be light at the end of the tunnel (or toilet bowl!), I will keep hanging in there maybe sometime in the future I might even be able to laugh about this!! thanks again, best of luck with the rest of your pregnancies xx
Thank you sooooooooo much both of you for taking the time to share your experience, makes me feel like maybe I'm not losing it after all and there may be light at the end of the tunnel (or toilet bowl!), I will keep hanging in there maybe sometime in the future I might even be able to laugh about this!! thanks again, best of luck with the rest of your pregnancies xx
sinion Posts: 6050
it's so hard not to feel like your the only person in the world going through this, for me it helped to know my mum was the exact same on me so she was great to talk to about it. I honestly can't believe I've gotten over it, I really did think that I'd be that way forever, so it's great to be able to say, yes it does end! Give yourself another two weeks and you should feel it starting to ease, you'll start to vomit less and be able to eat a little bit more. Just remember to keep drinking water, I know it keeps coming back up but if you drink tiny sips all day long you should be ok. When I went to my doctor he took a urine sample and it was dark dark brown, he was on the verge of sending me to A&E as I was so dehydrated but I told him I'd rather try for a bit more at home before doing that, so that's when I literally went everywhere around the house with a glass of water. It would take me about two or three hours to drink one glass but I started to keep it down that way. I used to get so stressed when I got hungry as I knew that whatever I ate would just come straight back up again, so if you can think of anything that doesn't make you as nauseous, stick with that. Best of luck, hopefully just a few weeks more and you'll be ok :xxx
roxychick Posts: 1802
Yeah try and get drinks into u. I ended up in hospital for a week and had to get 11 drips. Best of luck
bride. Posts: 3014
You poor poor thing, I understand completely. I was the same from week 4 - week 14 and then it eased off thanks be to god because i couldn't take much more. I was in hosp for most of that time and was losing the will to live, nothing was working to stop the vomiting and I lost a pile of weight. What I would recommend to you is trying the different medications if you're feeling bad enough. I tried Stemiltol, Zofran, Bucastem, Maxillon and Phenergan and nothing worked until the hormones eased off (14wks) but now 1 Maxillon tablet daily is keeping me functioning. I felt very guilty at the start but I don't anymore because I know it's essential and if the baby is to get any nutrition at all I need to take it so that I can eat and drink. I'm 17 weeks now and feeling like I have my life back. PS: It's rare enough to get it but it's even rarer to have it the whole 9 months. Let us know how you're getting on or feel free to pm me.