Hypothyroidism first trimester

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Eliza Do Posts: 4
Hey ladies, I'd have been a regular posted but I haven't been online since we got married and am coming back on anonymously ( for the moment :) ) as after 2 miscarriages ( one at 10 weeks and one just over 5 ) since the start of the year, we're keeping this pregnancy very confidential until at least Christmas. Currently 11 weeks - 2 scans later and everything seems to going in the right direction. But anyone who's been down the miscarriage road knows it's very hard to let yourself get excited until you've been told that you're out of the danger zone. And even at that, I reckon there'll always be some level of anxiety. My question is if there's anyone out there that can put my mind at ease? I've had hypothyroidism for at least 15 years - never caused me an issue, has always been controlled, and no issue with conception etc thankfully. As soon as I got the BFP, my eltroxin levels were upped by 25mg per day ( to 150mg Mon - Fri and 125mg Fri & Sat ). Went to the GP at 8 weeks gestation for blood test and results came back one week later @9 weeks: T4 10.1 and TSH 4.39 GP advised at the time that TSH was slightly elevated and normal range was 0.5-4.2 ( correct for non pregnant levels ). Given that info, I held on as I was seeing my consultant a week later who automatically advised that TSH should be at 2 or below. She increased my eltroxin levels by another 25mg per day and sent me to an endo consultant to get the levels checked. I suppose, to cut the chase, I'm now seriously worried ( especially after googling! ) that those 2 weeks of elevated TSH without increased meds will have had an impact on the baby's mental / physical development at 8-10 weeks of development. Does anyone have any experience in this field that can offer some info? I asked both of the consultants and neither seemed too overly bothered. Apologies for the length of my post and thanks for reading :)
Hi, don't suppose anyone has any feedback? Thanks so much.
babywish10 Posts: 110
Hi Eliza Do, I completely understand where you are coming from, I have had hypothyroidism for over 10 years. My levels have been mental for the last few years. My doc is monitoring it regularly, anyway, to get back on point, try not to worry, when I was pregnant with DD my thyroid didn't stabilise until I was 5 months pregnant and she is just perfect. Having your levels off for a couple of weeks is fine, there will not be any long term issue. If it was undiagnosed and wasn't being looked after it could cause some problems but the chances of miscarriage after you pass the danger zone are so so slim. I'm currently 7 months pregnant on no 2. My levels were changed again only last week, an extra 25mg so I'm on 150mg daily. I lost my first pregnancy so I understand all too well how anxious you feel but don't let your thyroid be one of the things to add to your worry. As long as you get through you 12 week scan and they tell you things are fine put your thyroid out of your mind. You'll monitor it with your doctor and they'll check your levels in the hospital at antenatal appointments, just double check it when they are taking your bloods that they are checking it. I really hope it will all be ok, but just look at me, thyroid in a mess and a healthy happy DD with hopefully another healthy baby in the New Year. Fingers and toes crossed, I hope I have put your mind at ease and not added to your anxiety.
Dear Babywish10, Firstly, huge congrats on your own pregnancy and not long to go now - hope you're feeling well and everything is going just as you want it. Secondly, I can't thank you enough for responding. I'm like a glass ball of emotion at the moment and if I'm not worrying about one thing, it's another. I think the fact that we've kept it to ourselves ( except my best friend, who has been utterly amazing and patient ), I don't have anyone else to discuss my fears with. So after reading your message this morning, it gave me the peace of mind that I needed. I know I shouldn't, but human nature makes me question if it was my un-monitored thyroid that caused the issue in my first pregnancy. You can't look back of course, but I beat myself up that I wasn't aware - when my GP said it was fine, I just took him at his word! We are lucky this time around in that we've had great scans at 7.5 and 10.5 weeks but as you know, it's hard to be patient for the next one to come around. And as I said, it's the smallest thing that worries me. Usually, I'm a very calm and pragmatic individual - feeling out of control with this given the history makes me so anxious but I'm hoping when we have our 13 week scan, I can start to relax! Am wishing you all the very best with your pregnancy and sincere gratitude for taking the time to respond - it is really appreciated. Take good care, x
babywish10 Posts: 110
Eliza Do, glad I was of help to you and thanks for the good wishes. You'll be absolutely fine, positive thinking is the way to go, eliminate the stress from your life as much as possible. Pregnancy is hard enough without stress and worry. Wishing you the very best on your BIG scan and for the remainder of your pregnancy :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: