I always seem to ask the stupid questions but......

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Beaubelle Posts: 741
Was just wondering....You know when you're walking down the aisle, how is the music played? Is it on cd or organ or what? I don't know if I want the traditional Wagner for my walking down the aisle music or what. I love Pachebel canon in D but I just can't imagine that on the organ...Would I have to get a string quartet or is it played on a cd? Also, I have a cousin who is a harpist and who may play and sing at my wedding...Though I haven't asked her yet...Eek! What happens if you have a harpist? Do you get an organist or string quartet or what to have when you walk down the aisle, cos I can't think of what music a harpist would play for this... Hmmm, please fill me in on what is normal!! I am clueless!!! *)
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
It's not a stupid question, although I know church music can be a bit of a headwreck (why wasn't I paying attention to every detail at all the weddings I was at before planning my own O:| ) As far as I can gather, you could have an organist or singer who would accompany each other. Not sure on the harpist and singer, maybe they would take turns with pieces as the harp would be a quiet sound? I don't think the string quartets have any singer, would probably work out very expensive. Why don't you suss out your cousin purely for info only. She would probably be delighted to do it for you as a wedding present. You can also get songs played on CD but from what I can gather here, you might have to have somebody to set the CD player up and press start and stop, monitor the volume etc. Some priests might not even allow this. You could always e-mail Siobhan Oliver for help, she advertises here. I looked at her website and she has some samples to play on there, some are pieces of classical music, others are songs played to the tune of whatever song it is.
TokenMale Posts: 6845
Do you mean walking [b:2iq1bvan]UP[/b:2iq1bvan] the aisle rather than down? You wouldn't have Wagner or Pachelbel for going back down the aisle. In any case, it's all normal. If you want a string quartet, do it. If you'd prefer an organist, go for it. If you'd prefer a CD, as much as I think it's naff and tacky, you should do it if you fancy it!! :o0 :o0 Trumpet and organ, choir, Kazoo band of Kazakstan, the options are endless.
stockbroking bride Posts: 2642
I had a harp playing the Wagner wedding march on my way up the aisle. The harp can have a pretty big sound IYKWIM and there is alot of music written for it. Personnally don't like the CD thing I'd prefer to have a person or group 'cause then they can react to what is happening around them eg. add another verse if needed or finish a tune early etc.
garran9 Posts: 4401
[quote="stockbroking bride"]I had a harp playing the Wagner wedding march on my way up the aisle. The harp can have a pretty big sound IYKWIM and there is alot of music written for it. Personnally don't like the CD thing I'd prefer to have a person or group [b:c4cl3f42]'cause then they can react to what is happening around them eg. add another verse if needed or finish a tune early etc.[/[/b:c4cl3f42]quote] Very good point whcih I hadn't thought of! We're having a String Quartet -everytime I hear some classical music, I get all excited thinking of our wedding!! I personally only ever associate classical music with weddings!! God, how will I cope withthe next 9 months!! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
hollytree Posts: 123
I found a great way on deciding on the music style for our wedding was by watching sample DVD's. So even if you'd decided on who is doing your wedding DVD or even if your not having one, I suggest you contact loads of suppliers for samples, that way you can check out variouse music styles (an pic up other ideas). Once you've decided on the style of music you want, you can then choose the musicians you need. Has your cousin played for wedding before? If so she'll probably be able to give you loads of advice, and know other musicians that might suit your style & budget. I'm not a fan of using CD music in the Church or for the Frist Dance. I think you can beat live music - but that's just my opinion. You have to go with what you and H2B like and want. It's you day, so dont' let any one talk you out of anything you really want, or talk you into something you don't want. Best of luck