I feel like a terrible mother already!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

busybee07 Posts: 959
Hi girls, Ive been reading a few posts around here about what you are all avoiding - food/drink wise! And i feel terrible. My doc never said anything about drinking tea/coffee saying that I only drink about 2 cups on an average day. Plus theres the hair dye issue. Ive still been getting my highlights done every 4-5 weeks. All I have given up is alcohol/smoking/shellfish/peanuts etc. Im going to make a terrible mother! :weep
chicam Posts: 1169
Oh no busybee don't be thinking that way - contrary to all the books etc. telling us how we should be doing things, I bet I'll not be the first to say that I haven't followed the "rules" exactly either!! And I bet not everyone else does! You don't have to avoid drinking caffeine - some books say you can have up to 3 cups of coffee or 5 of tea a day. I have drunk coffee all through the pregnancy and while I've given up some foods, there's others I still like like lots and lots of chocolate (and thats got caffeine in it!). I'm sure there's loads of things I should have done but didn't, but as long as my baby was putting on weight and kicking around I wasn't worried I was damaging it. And as for the hair dye - read through some of the responses re. dying hair on this forum and you'll see that lots of ppl have done it very early in pregnancy too.
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
Don't worry busybee. My doc said that it's more or less an old wifes tale about hair dye. I was told that it perfectly safe. You hear so many scare stories. Also you only need to avoid nuts if there is a history of nut alergies in your family. You can't give up everything, you're doing fine. Don't worry.
Anonymous Posts: 24542
Ah, busybee - the fact that you [b:28jhn38c]are[/b:28jhn38c] worried means you'll be a great mum. It'd be worse if you didn't give a shit. I don't drink tea or coffee anyway, but I did have the odd cup of hot chocolate when I was pregnant, and more than a few nibbles of Green & Black's chocolate. I also had a few handfuls of peanuts every now and then, and I ate prawns at 6 months when I was on hols. I'm sure I did other things that I shouldn't have, without realising. In the early days, before I knew I was pregnant - the most crucial weeks! - I drank a ton of wine, ate loads of home-made ice cream, ate cured meats like carpaccio and parma ham... basically consumed everything you shouldn't (in my defense, I [b:28jhn38c]was[/b:28jhn38c] on honeymoon and having a whale of a time!) My little girl is now three months old, and is beautiful, healthy and thriving. You can drive yourself seriously demented worrying about every single thing you do when pregnant. While it's great that you're concerned, the main thing is to eat healthily, get some exercise, get plenty of rest, and look after yourself. Oh, I also dyed my hair throughout my pregnancy... which is more than I can say for now, as my roots are now about four inches long and, thanks to DD, will probably reach six inches before I find time to do them! :o0
Jeidi Posts: 3128
I got my highlights done at 8 weeks and at 16 weeks... actually am badly in need of them again and I'm 22 week almost. I have a cup of coffee in work prob about 2 cups every 1 or 2 days. Was eating nuts up to recently (as I thought that you just had to avoid them if there's history of a nut allergy) but found out theya re related to asthma aswell, which DH suffers from... You'll be fine :thnk
busybee07 Posts: 959
Thanks girls, i was really feeling like im the only 1 that is constantly dying my hair and still drinking coffee and coke etc. Im just thinking that 15-25 yrs ago noone knew anything about this stuff, like when my mam had my lil sis she would of drank tea til it was coming out her ears everytime she got up she would of put the kettle on.
mcglick Posts: 463
Guilty on the tea driniking, diet coke sluggin, prawn chomping and peanut nibbling >:o)
tanyababy. Posts: 511
My roots are really showing now and by the time I have my first 12 week scan end of Oct they will be terrible. I have decided to wait anyway until my scan and ask the consultant then if i can dye my hair. Then if he says its ok (which he probably will) I am thinking of dying it a light brown instead of blonde so I wont have to keep re-doing it during pregnancy. I dont want to chance it more than 1 time.
ainm Posts: 2211
My doc just told me not to have shellfish, cream cheese, nuts and unpasteurised mayonnaise. She said i could have everything else in moderation. Apparently the hair thing is a myth anyway. You certainly won't be a terrible mother, you'll be great, don't even be worry about all that other stuff.
sunnyside Posts: 3164
I was told shellfish is fine as long as it's cooked well but I would have wanted it cooked well before being pregnant too. I just make sure that if I'm eating out and ordering fish etc that it's a good clean place so the chances of bugs etc are reduced. I've eaten peanuts all the way through. not on purpose- ended up eating them by forgetting basics like peanut m&m's have peanuts in them :-8 Pregnancy brain :o0 I didn't drink coffee in the beginning cause I couldn't stomach it but wouldn't think twice about having a cup now. I think it's all about moderation and avoiding the really obvious things like blue cheese and swordfish- never had it anyway. I feel more guilty if I haven't eaten enough fresh fruit and veg and I don't worry in the least about things like cheese/fish etc.