Menu

I got my BFP and I already have a question!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

fraggle rocker Posts: 1426
I got my BFP :o)ll It was a lovely New Years Day present. I confirmed it with the doctor yesterday(nearly had heart failure the 1st test she did was negative & the 2nd came up BFP straight away), she said I have a urine infection and has put me on a safe antibiotic. So my question is the doc told me to book my first ante-natal appointment. The earliest appointment I could get is when I am 14 weeks. Is this normal and am I on my own until then? Do they make the appointment for the scan for me? Thanks to those who answer me :wv
charli Posts: 5994
hiya!!! good to see you here, you have your ticker and all installed!! Congrats - yes the first ante natal appointment is between 12-14 weeks, i had it at 13 weeks on my first pg and 14 weeks on this one, usually you will have a scan at this too though i believe some hospitals dont do first apt/scan until 18 weeks or so but if yours has been confirmed for 14 weeks you will probably have scan then too as you are only 5 weeks perhaps just see your GP again at 9/10 weeks. are you doing Combined Care? if so visits will alternate between GPs and Hospital/Consultant looking forward to chatting with you, loads of info to be had here!
Sassy Posts: 2269
Like charli said it depends on the hospital you are attending. I would ring the scanning unit to find out what their policy is. I know in Holles steet the first visit is around 14wks and does not include the scan it is then organised for you when you are between 18-22wks. I had mine at 21wks. Congradulations on your good news though :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
fraggle rocker Posts: 1426
Thanks for that, I live in Bray so seemingly a consultant from Holles Street does a weekly clinic and thats my first appointment. So I doubt I will get the scan then. The doctor discussed combined care but she said she would see me after I had my first ante-natal appointment. Which I feel is a long time in between. Thank god for this site.
Babs Aug08 Posts: 828
Congrats fraggle !!! :o)ll
HGM Posts: 55
Congrats and welcome!! It basically depends on what hospital you are considering attending?? but normally your 1 st visit will be around 12-16 weeks and your first scan will vary according to the hospital policy. nmh wont give 1 st scan until 18-22 weeks,and my friend got her 1 st scan in rot....nda.. at 12 weeks,so wait and see what hospital you decide on,then ring up and make your first appointment.The admin staff will ask you to confirm your dates and then they will tell you when to come. best of luck! :wv
buzybumble Posts: 831
:o)ll :o)ll :o)ll Congrats Fraggle :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll What a way to start the new year. Wishing you all the best :lvs
tinyfairy Posts: 1536
Hi Fraggle. Congrats on your BFP! I have booked into the Rotunda and was shocked to hear my first scan is at 19 weeks...... (WTF????) Anyhow we have booked privately into Mount Carmel for our first scan at 11 weeks. I think the hospitals are mental with the Babyboom!!!! :o0
HGM Posts: 55
If you cant wait until your 1 st visit to tell family and work maybe book in and get a private scan done to make sure everythings ok before you tell people. You can get private scans done at mount carmel hospital for approx.€160(madness), also a doctor in irishtown medical centre called DR.O'Sullivan,has a ultrasound machine and he will scan you before your 1 st appointment if you ring him and explain that your very anxious about waiting so long.....€60.