I have myself completely freaked out...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

blondiechick Posts: 1641
Girls can you advise me please. I am 5 weeks pregnant. For the past 2 months I have been taking Vitamin B Complex,which contains 400mg of folic acid. So,stupidly I stopped taking my folic acid supplement when I saw that my B complex contains the folic acid. I am still taking my B complex vitamins,but that's all. Now I was on the net reading up and the Dept. of Health say you should take an individual folic acid tablet and not as part of a multivitamin. So I have been only taking the B complex with the 400mg of folic as part of it. I am freaked out now-have I done it wrong? Does that mean my little bean didn't get enough folic acid? Apparently if damage is done,it's done very shortly after conception so at this stage it would be too late......aaaahhhhh
cats pyjamas Posts: 76
Welcome to the world of mother's guilt ... it never goes away. Don't be worrying. You've been taking a supplement that contains folic acid but its also added to cereals and bread. Your bean will be fine hun. :xxx
Thanks cats pyjamas....but I should have said that I am coeliac so I don't eat breads and cereals..well,not the normal ones anyway.God I am really worried.
funkyfish Posts: 7626
just take the folic acid from now until 12 weeks.
strangeangel Posts: 1269
Never heard that the folic acid supplement should be separate and I've only taken it as part of a prenatal multivitamin this time! My midwife didn't seem worried when I told her that, so I think you're ok.
Thanks to everyone who posted. I am going to doctor in an hour's time as I have started spotting. Nightmare. Will ask her then.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I took it on its own as that's what I read was best - just start taking it now & you'll be fine!! Hope all is well with the spotting too!
AmandaMc Posts: 1813
Try not to worry- when I conceived my cycles were all over the place and didn't think I'd conceive (conceived on an 80 day cycle) so I was very erratic with taking folic acid until I found out at almost 6 weeks :-8 . One week I think I only took it once :-8 It's highly unlikely even if you never took folic acid that anything would be wrong. GP wasn't worried she just said to make sure I start taking it from when I found out.
Jeidi Posts: 3128
CONGRATS :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll I am 14 weeks today, I think I stopped taking the seperate FA tabs about 6 weeks ago, as the pregnacare has FA in them. Now I am shitting myself!! Although, I do eat copious amounts of bread and cereals! :innocent: BTW, good luck at the doctors! xx
AmandaMc Posts: 1813
PS my GP said Pregnacare was fine- it has plenty of folic acid. I think they're referring to normal multivitamins where folic acid isn't prioritized and is low dose. Pregnacare is fine though.