I hope we have no brides flying on honeymoon today

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
[b:5m8rqiq9]UK Airports Closed By Ash Cloud From Volcano[/b:5m8rqiq9] British airports have been closed after a massive cloud of ash from a volcano in Iceland drifted into UK airspace. Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast and Newcastle airports have been completely shut. And hundreds of flights from Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Manchester, Luton and Birmingham have been cancelled. Officials said more airports could close completely as the ash drifts over the UK. Airports are urging travellers to contact their airlines to check whether their journeys are affected. More than 150 flights have been cancelled at Heathrow and 138 at Gatwick, including the majority of easyJet and Monarch departures. Eighty flights have been cancelled at Birmingham. A Stansted Airport spokeswoman said: "Following advice from the Met Office, the National Air Traffic Service has introduced restrictions to UK airspace as a result of volcanic ash drifting across the UK from Iceland. "Passengers intending to fly today are asked to contact their airline for further information and should expect disruption in the coming hours." Manchester Airport said flights would be cancelled and delayed between 7am and 1pm. Some easyJet flights due to depart from Stansted Airport have also been cancelled. The volcanic eruption was the second in Iceland in less than a month. The heat from it is so fierce it melted part of the Eyjafjallajokull glacier, sparking huge floods. Weather experts also said the ash could take a number of days to disperse. Experts say volcanic ash jams machinery on planes and there have been many instances of damage to jet aircraft in the past. After the Galunggung volcanic event in 1982, a British Airways Boeing 747 flew through an ash cloud that fouled all 4 engines, stopping them. The plane descended from 36,000 feet (11,000m) to 12,000 feet (3,700m) before the crew could manage to restart the engines. Sky weather presenter Lucy Verasamy said: "The ash cloud from Iceland represents a risk to aircraft since it can damage engines. "But in this instance it won't affect the weather - although massive and prolonged eruptions can cause a cooling of the climate."
nelswife Posts: 3869
I heard that on the radio this morning, god love anyone fying out on their honeymoon...it would just be awful for them!!
joker Posts: 2789
i know... i hate the airport at the best of times!!! poor honeymooners or folks going on hens or flying out for weddings xx
MrsOC09 Posts: 1175
just read on RTE that the Irish Aviation Authority are closing Ireland eastern airspace from 12noon, which includes shutting down dublin airport!! :eek
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
DH is in Germany this week and next week but is DUE to fly home for the week end. Just checked Air Lingus there and their German flight is cancelled for today. No mention of tomorrow yet. Bleedin typical
Genegirl Posts: 2110
OMG - i have just heard this! Never heard anything like it - :ooh Dublin and Cork ariports are closed from 11AM - to at least 6PM
YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
there talking about them being closed for the next couple of days at least
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
[quote="TheDiamondWollie":cwafdnwz]there talking about them being closed for the next couple of days at least[/quote:cwafdnwz] Crap. I dont mind but the kiddies will be upset :o(