I just listened to my gentlebirth cd for 1st time

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

doolittle Posts: 910
Hi there, I ordered the Gentlebirth programe and listened to it for the first time. OMG how relaxing and positive it was the best money I ever spent in my pregnancy. and I felt the baby move during it, only felt first real movement yesterday so I think baby approves :o0
madhatter01 Posts: 495
Is it worth buying? Im still thinking about it like is it worth the cash? Did you buy it off the Gentlebirth website?
doolittle Posts: 910
Yeah I did! It was really relaxing and I thought the positive affermations were just fantastic. There was a part about breathing in colours which I thought went on a bit but the next time I d know. The birth preparations were amazing. Would be into meditation really but i would reccomend it. Whether or not it meand a natural birth or not , I def feel more confident and relaxed about it and really looking forward to it :wv
TracyD Posts: 750
Hi Doolittle, The babies tend to get quite active during this nice quiet time......they're also getting exposed to the lovely endorphins that your body releases when you use self hypnosis or meditate. You'll start to find that you won't hear much of the CD the more you listen to it....your mind just drifts in and out.....and before you know it you're at the count up or the music on the last track. Don't try to make yourself hear every bit of it - just relax and take an easy going attitude towards it and you'll enjoy it even more. Some of my mums never get past the affirmations and feel like they've been asleep the whole time...but the messages are still going in (staying calm, confident and in control). Your subconscious mind is like the black box on an airplane it's recording everything :-) Are you on the GentleBirth online group? If not PM me your email address and I'll send you an invitation. You can chat to other mums in Ireland using the program. Enjoy the program Tracy
Anonymous Posts: 24542
Elvana, I borrowed this from a friend as I find yoga really beneficial and enjoy relaxation exercises. I wasn't too impressed with it. [quote="doolittle":2ch6qtm8]There was a part about breathing in colours which I thought went on a bit[/quote:2ch6qtm8] I found this [b:2ch6qtm8]really[/b:2ch6qtm8] tedious. I actually don't mind repetition, but I found this frustrating, not relaxing. Also, every time I heard the bit about breathing in a red mist, it reminded me of blood - cue thoughts of horror movies, Ebola, you name it... anything but relaxing! There's also a problem with the audio when it switches from the generic colours exercise to the pregnancy-specific section. The dubbing is very poor, which results in a sudden change in volume and pitch that jars you out of any sense of relaxation you might be feeling. I'd be more inclined to spend the cash on a good pregnancy yoga class.
mrs.smiffy Posts: 1747
I'd love to get them too, but unfortunately I can't afford them at the moment... :o( I try to relax with the few yoga exercises I do at home each night and it seem to help - so far at least... :o0
TracyD Posts: 750
Mrs Smiffy - if you're interested in borrowing the CDs or buying them second hand from another GentleBirth mum who has finished with theirs let me know and I'll see if I can organize it for you. Ditz I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the program but I do appreciate the feedback. The repetition is critical to the conditioning process - as boring as it seems. The belief that birth has to be such a difficult experience is so deeply ingrained in mums today - the conditioning chips away at that belief and replaces it with confidence. It's sort of like getting into a new habit of thinking ([i:2a77yqf2]which is what a belief is[/i:2a77yqf2]) Most of us have a really bad habit of imagining the worst of birth which is of course reinforced by the scary stories and TV so changing that habit takes the repetition of a new habit. Just like if you were trekking through a jungle you need a machete and a lot of effort to get through the vines, trees etc.....but the next time you follow the same path the undergrowth isn't so thick....and after going through the same pathway again and again it gets easier and easier. What we're doing with GentleBirth is changing the pathways in your brain. At the moment most of us have a very easy pathway from "birth = something awful I have to get through" - it's easy to think those thoughts. It's what we've always thought. But now you're creating a new pathway in the brain [b:2a77yqf2]"birth = feeling calm and confident and in control"[/b:2a77yqf2] and the more you go through that path the easier it becomes and the more benefits you experience (feeling more relaxed about pregnancy and looking forward to the birth) When listening to the CD it's important to just adopt an easy going attitude and let your mind wander a bit and not get hung up too much on what's actually being said..... The judgments that the analytical conscious mind makes just act as a distraction so you're learning to just ignore them - all the work is being done with the subconscious mind anyway and it's what initiates labour and birth. When I started using self hypnosis with CDs I found it hard to relax and kept letting my conscious mind 'interrupt' because I couldn't stand the accent of the hypnotherapist. I decided to change my focus from the annoying accent to focusing on staying relaxed and enjoying the experience. Some of the mums I teach that also do antenatal yoga find the 'golden thread' visualization they do in some yoga classes makes them gag ;-) Hypnosis is a state of focused concentration (and the bypass of the analytical conscious mind) so you learn to ignore distractions (from annoying accents to sounds in the hospital etc) As you get better at directing your focus you learn to use the distractions to deepen your relaxation ie 'the noises in the hospital deepen my relaxation'.....or 'my neighbours dog that is barking outside right now makes me more relaxed' or 'each time my baby moves I feel calmer'. Using the environment helps you stay focused. We can't control most of the distractions around us but we decide whether we are choosing to focus on them or not. It's the one thing we have 100% control over. Self hypnosis is another tool in your labour toolkit that you can decide to use or not - just like you can decide to use the bath in labour or not. Also some mums prefer the imagery of CD3 so that might be helpful. HTH ! Tracy
Anonymous Posts: 24542
[quote="TracyD":1p2013fl]The repetition is critical to the conditioning process - as boring as it seems. The belief that birth has to be such a difficult experience is so deeply ingrained in mums today - the conditioning chips away at that belief and replaces it with confidence. It's sort of like getting into a new habit of thinking ([i:1p2013fl]which is what a belief is[/i:1p2013fl]) Most of us have a really bad habit of imagining the worst of birth which is of course reinforced by the scary stories and TV so changing that habit takes the repetition of a new habit[/quote:1p2013fl] I don't find repetition boring - in fact, I did say that I don't mind it. I just found the colours exercise tedious. I'm used to using relaxation techniques and visualisation exercises, but this one just didn't work for me. Also, I had no fears whatsoever about labour. I had supreme confidence in my body's ability to cope (although I was a bit misguided on that one in the end). While I appreciate that some mums-to-be do fear giving birth, it's also fair to say that many of us approach labour with great positivity. I understand that telling mums that there [b:1p2013fl]is[/b:1p2013fl] a fear to be overcome makes sense from a business perspective, but not everyone thinks that way so I'm simply offering my own opinion of the programme in the interest of balanced feedback. Doolittle, I'm delighted you found something that works for you, and I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy and a wonderful birth experience. :thnk
alton Posts: 3077
As someone who is the Queen of Anxiety, I absolutely love the Gentlebirth CDs! For me, the effect was amazing. It is funny how you can have a very personal response to some of the images though - Ditz, you had me in stitches with your comments about the red mist! :o0 I got my DH to record a couple of tracks that we wrote ourselves and it's even more relaxing to listen to his voice. I've had to work quite hard to learn how to relax deeply (that's a bit paradoxical) and I haven't a clue if it will pay off in labour but in the meantime I'm enjoying the benefits.
Tan Posts: 191
Alton it would be great if you post your birth story and let us know if it helped in the end, its just that some of the gentlebirth stories your read from women in the states seem too good to be true. But I hope everything goes great for you and all the mammies expecting soon :thnk