Menu

I look too old

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

*bubblez* Posts: 1599
i was at the gym at the weekend doing my fitness programme and the instructor asked my age, (i'm 23) he looked at me as if to say yeah right and then said " no really what age are you??. I couldn't believe it, I mean I never thought I looked older than I am and I certainly didn't think I looked over the hill in my tracksuit, I mean I can buy clothes from the kids section!! I was really upset and my fiancee was fuming at the rude little brat and said the only reason he could think of was because he asked my occupation first. I'm a customer services manager for a fairly big company thats well known and maybe he thought I couldn't be that young and work there as a manager. But I was wondering if there's anything I can do to make myself look younger?? I don't dress like a pensioner but maybe I come across as older because I would be more mature then your average 23 year old?? any help is appreciated
ChloeOct06 Posts: 1466
don't worry about it.. it could have been just as you said about job.. i run my own business and deal with really senior people in large financial institutions.. when i'm at work people think i must be 35 at least.. the youngest person working for me is 39. then when i'm in social setting with h2b people have thought i was 24/25... H2b is 26 and people say i seem younger than him i'm actually 29.. don't give it another thought... what does he know
WonderWol Posts: 2927
Hmnph! >:o( Next time you see him remind him of the 2 for 1 offer at Specsavers and suggest he gets himself down there pronto!
Anonymous Posts: 24542
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Maybe change your hair style?
chichi Posts: 606
I'm 27 and my H2B is 41....and I have the opposite problem...at work I wear make-up etc and look my age, but when I'm in jeans, no makeup etc people always reckon I'm about 21. I shouldn't complain but a few weeks ago my h2b was in hospital. The phlebotimist came in (looked in her 50's) and she was making the usual conversation...then she goes...''so who's this?'' nodding at me (like I can't talk) and h2b goes ''this is my fiancee'' and she frowns and goes (not joking at all) ''god she's very young''. H2b said ''don't worry, I'm not going to get arrested or anything!'' and she just goes ''hmmmmm..''...I was so embarrased I couldn't think of any thing to say!
Jennies Invitations
Dill Posts: 1640
i know just what you mean chici! when me and my H2B first got together his friends were having a right go at him for being with someone so young. I'm a year younger than him! I also get pretty peeved in work cos i find a lot of people dont take me serious and will barely look at me in meetings etc. assuming i'm being brought along for the experience! V annoying!
NiamhOct06 Posts: 1253
Don't worry about them. I can't believe some people are ignorant enough to pass comment. I get asked for ID when I want to buy cigarettes, not to mind alcohol. I don't smoke myself, but when i'm buying for himself or my dad. I'm nearly 28 and H2B is nearly 30. :roll:
WifeZilla Posts: 1222
Dont' worry about that eegit, he just came across in the wrong way. I think he saw that you've a very successful job/career and would normally expect that from maybe a woman in her late 20's or 30's. So when you said you were so young he was probably doing a double take saying to himself how could it be 'cos you're so young. I used to get that aswell having a fair bit of industry experience but just laugh it off! A couple of years ago i was in a shoestore browsing shoes..a woman saw me at the back to school section and asked if i was looking for new shoes for going back to do my leaving cert..Eh hello?????
Mrs Malefesense Posts: 1440
You're automatically assuming he thought you were older. My younger sister who's 21 was told last week that she looked about 14 Maybe if was a backhanded compliment