Menu

I'm a binge eater.

Go to Health & Fitness

Rogue User
Ultimate Wolly

I'm a binge eater.

Postby Rogue User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:16 pm

I was going to go anonymous for this but then thought - f*ck it.

I binge eat. It mostly happens around my period. I will get fixated on foods and HAVE to have them. Or at least convince myself that i have to have them. Usually junk - which I never actually buy. There is never junk in our house because I know what I am like. I stopped bringing money to work cos I would buy junk at lunch and eat it secretly.

I'm not fat. The times I am not binge eating I eat very healthily and never feel like I want any junk. But then it will just...happen. I don;t know - I get this uncontrollable urge to just eat junk - crisps, sweets, chocolate, cakes -everything. Right now I am trying to think if there is anything in my cupboards that I could eat. Maybe a few spoons of honey if I can't find anything else? Jesus, I'm actually mortified saying that.

Yesterday I went to the shop around the corner for one reason only - to buy junk. I bought a chocolate brownie and a savoury scone from the bakery, then two packets of crisps, jellytots, a picnic bar, a turkish delight and a bag of chips on the way home.

Usually I stuff the food into my mouth, not even enjoying it. Sometimes I savour it but when it's finished I am never satisfied, I just want more. Even though I feel ill and full and bloated.

These binges usually only last 3-4 days but sometimes up to a week or even two weeks on occasion. I told my husband about it last night and he was very good but I don't think he understands just how bad this all is...

I don't know what to do. I was kind of hoping there might be more people like me on this forum? I went to the Bodywhys website and they say binge eating is the most common food disorder, way more prevalent than anorexia or bulimia. So why is no one talking about it?

I'm not sure exactly what I am looking for - some help maybe, advice? Someone who says I am not a freak and they are like this too and that I can and will get better? Maybe we can help each other?

plainsconesonly
Mini Wolly

Re: I'm a binge eater.

Postby plainsconesonly » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:55 pm

Snap!!!!

So am I! As I type Im just after scoffing a bounty bar and a big packet of buttons :-8

Like you Im fairly healthy 99% of the time, I go to the gym 4 -5 times a week, drink lots of water gave up cigarettes etc.

BUT!!!There are periods when I binge eat and just scoff to be honest I dont even taste the food! Ive only recently started to do it I think it stems from me being so regemented most of the time that I just flip out. I uste never binge eat before.

At least there are two of us, - wiling to admit it anyway!!

I also go to the shop when I am in binge mode and but crisps, chocolate etc and rush home and eat them mostly in private!! Thats worrying in itself!!
Im not overweight either far from it. But if I continue with this Im afraid it will damage my health.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

kj88
New Wolly

Postby kj88 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:13 pm

I think this thread will be very busy soon girls, im another one, it started for me in my early teens, i could eat what i wanted and remain a size 8, and so i did, but excessively, i can eat ridiculous amounts in one go and still eat meals as normal, and have often gone to the shop for a stash of junk.

Its caught up on me in recent years, im now 24 and have put 2 and a half stone on but have managed to loose a stone and a half of it. I cant do "moderation" im all or nothing, and dont understand people that cant eat when upset/stressed, because at those times i would eat even more!

Im trying to be better and have kind of retained it to the weekends so its better then before but i would love to be one of those people that can just have one packet of crisps and leave it at that, i dont like what its done to my appearance and genuinely think the additives can effect your moods, i shudder to think what damage i already have done with all the crap iv eaten.

I think this behaviour is very applicable to women and alot of us probably use periods as an excuse to let loose, im certainly guilty of it!

Rogue User
Ultimate Wolly

Postby Rogue User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:16 pm

When I am in a binge mood I don't want to exercise at all. I will stop going to the gym, make excuses not to walk; thank god I don't have a car otherwise it could be much worse.

Still, the feeling of total loss of control is so embarrassing and I feel so guilty after a binge. I say I am not fat but I am not skinny either and when I binge I notice the difference in my appearance and it does make me feel fat and ugly. In my head even, I talk myself into feeling even worse.

Why do we do this to ourselves? I feel like sh!t when I binge - well I feel great while gorging but as soon as food is gone feel crap again. Why can't I remember how crap it makes me feel, I just let the chocolate take over...

Italian Job
Mini Wolly

Postby Italian Job » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Don't worry I think most hormonal women are guilty of this. I'm like some kind of addict when I get going. Stuffing biscuits into my mouth like a lunatic as if I'm just discovering them for the first time. I crave sweet things before my period, when I'm stressed, when I'm tired and when I'm hungover. In fact the only time I don't get cravings is the first few days after I get my period when my appetite just disappears completely and I have to actually remind myself to eat. I would say the majority of the time I'm either just denying myself the foods I'd love to be eating or actually giving in to my cravings. And when I give in I go whole hog mental!

Rogue User
Ultimate Wolly

Postby Rogue User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:26 pm

kj88 wrote:I think this thread will be very busy soon girls, im another one, it started for me in my early teens, i could eat what i wanted and remain a size 8, and so i did, but excessively, i can eat ridiculous amounts in one go and still eat meals as normal, and have often gone to the shop for a stash of junk.

Its caught up on me in recent years, im now 24 and have put 2 and a half stone on but have managed to loose a stone and a half of it. I cant do "moderation" im all or nothing, and dont understand people that cant eat when upset/stressed, because at those times i would eat even more!

Im trying to be better and have kind of retained it to the weekends so its better then before but i would love to be one of those people that can just have one packet of crisps and leave it at that, i dont like what its done to my appearance and genuinely think the additives can effect your moods, i shudder to think what damage i already have done with all the crap iv eaten.

I think this behaviour is very applicable to women and alot of us probably use periods as an excuse to let loose, im certainly guilty of it!

I am so worried about the damage I'm doing. I'd say it's worse than alcohol. After my binging period has ended I can get by on very little food and that's how I keep my weight in check. Not good.

Nikki Kavanagh
hope2beemum
New Wolly

Postby hope2beemum » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:38 pm

i wouldn't say I'm a binge eater but I have a major problem with my sweet tooth. I don't go to the extreme and binge but I would eat sweets, chocolate, cakes etc in secret. The worse thing is I love baking and if there's nothing here to satisfy my craving i will actually bake something! How sad is that :( I always keep flour & sugar etc in the press for when I have nothing here. I would easily eat 4/5 cupcakes over the course of a day. However I am overweight, quite overweight and every healthy eating plan I start fails after 2 days because my sugar craving kicks in.

I often find I eat crap in secret because my husband is quite healthy and sometimes I feel embarrassed eating in front of him!!

I think anyone admitting they are binge eaters are very brave. It's not something that's often talked about.

CarolinaMoon
Woloholic

Postby CarolinaMoon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:50 pm

Binge eater here too. Problem for me is that being regimented the rest of the time doesn't help because I have an underactive thyroid - so I should be regimented all the time. Instead I am fat :-8 I go weeks and weeks of obsessively controlling everything that goes into my mouth (rarely losing weight) and exercising until a switch goes off in my head and its like someone else has taken over and wants EVERYTHING. No thinking about what I am eating but just eating and feeling ashamed that I am doing it. And then the cycle starts again. A friend of mine who is a nurse once said that its like I have no middle gears when it comes to food. Its either total control and eating too little or zero control and eating everything around me. I always wonder if I made my thyroid condition worse with the binge/starve cycle.

I appear to be on a medium setting at the moment. I feel tentatively in control but not obsessive. I am doing circuit training twice a week and walking 4 times a week. On the days that I exercise more I am finding I am ok with eating a bit of junk or eating more in general because I am genuinely hungry. And I have a sweet tooth and do have something nice everyday and that seems to stop me binging - though I have realised that things like chocolate (bars, mousse etc) has to be saved for the evening as it can trigger a binge for me during the day. I have been using myfitnesspal to work out what calories I can eat and lose weight - and I have lost 14 pounds in the past 10 weeks. Maybe you could try something like that and calculate it at maintanance (if you don't need to lose weight) and eat within your calories which may mean eating more in general but this may stop you binging - you could infact be not eating enough throughout the month.

SunnyK
Empress Wolly

Postby SunnyK » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:04 pm

BOR I'm exactly the same, I could have written that post only I wouldn't have had the guts :-8

I had an issue with my weight when I was about 15 or so - got obsessed with it, gym every day and barely ate. Lost a heap of weight. Then things settled down completely and I balanced out at a normal weight, was always a size 8 and didn't exercise.

Then about 18 months ago I joined the gym - again got obsessed with it and was so strict with my diet - lost about a stone and was mega toned, low body fat etc. Then the binging started ... at the same time I'd taken up baking so I'd gorge on the days I was baking. But the past 6-8 months it's been ridiculous. I've put on a stone. Thank f*ck I had lost weight so could afford to put some back on but now I'm bursting out of my work trousers and jeans, my face has totally filled out and I feel chubby :o(

Like you after I do it I feel horrendous - then I do it all over again. I have lost all motivation now to even give a sh*t about it. I've spoken to my doctor about it and he agress that he things I have a sort of eating disorder and said I could try counselling so am thinking of that. In the meantime I've bought a few books on it from Amazon but they've done no good at all.

No idea of any solution as I'm stuck in the midst of it myself right now.
I've got a Blog!! If you like food you should give it a read, if not then you will probably have little or no interest in it! (",)
http://kateskabin.wordpress.com/

MrsAtobe
Royal Wolly

Postby MrsAtobe » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:06 pm

I heard a thing before about how the Western world with its artificial lighting, getting up before daylight etc all affects our cycles, our bodies can't deal with it in it's own time, like the birds singing at night because the urban lights confuse them :-8 PMS is a Western problem, it doesn't exist in places where they still sleep when it's dark, get up when it's light, eat great diets, listen to their bodies etc.

What I'm getting at is that Evening Primrose Oil helps hormone imbalances, so maybe if you started taking that your overall hormones and cycle would calm down and you mightn't crave the junk as much?

Next

Go to Health & Fitness