I'm gonna bite the bullet

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

happilymarried2010 Posts: 493
i have booked a babysitter for
zoesmama Posts: 2774
Definitely bite the bullet ! We had no babysitter until DD was 6 moths old and DS was 3 :ooh Until that time either my parents would take DS or my sis would come up and mind them. We don't have family living near us at all so this involved travel for them. We pretty much didn't go out at all when DD was v small. What changed was my Dad became ill and my sis got a serious boyfriend so we had to make a decision. We asked in the Creche and the girl in charge of the Baby Room said she would do it. I was happy because she was a qualified child-care worker and we haven't looked back since !! DS is 7 now and DD almost 4 and she is still our babysitter. Go for it !
Nubble Posts: 368
Of course you're going to be nervous about it...but you never know unless you try it! I'm sure your DS will be a little put out when you leave but maybe if you let the babysitter know what DS's favourite toys are or say she can give him a little treat when you leave (whatever that is be it a biscuit or a yogurt etc). Go through bed time routine with her, but you know what…if he doesn’t go to sleep for her, its no big deal. You are home at 9pm anyway so you can put him to bed then. The more she babysits, the more he will get used to her and she’ll get more used to his bed time routine. You and DH deserve a nice eve out so try not to let your nerves get to you too much. Tell babysitter that you will ring her once and stick to that. Otherwise you will spend your entire eve worrying. If there is a problem she will ring you. Enjoy your night!
happilymarried2010 Posts: 493
oh thanks girls i am beginning to relax a little more now, if he has to stay up til 9 its no big deal thats true alright. he loves Mickey mouse on portable dvd player & yogurts etc so will let her knwo all that. She seems well able anyways & does a lot of babysitting her Mom said. might even start looking forward to a couple of hrs with hubby now :o)ll :o)ll
bobby2012 Posts: 644
Just jumping in to say your son may surprise. My son is the easiest goingperson on the planet, but my daughter, since as long as I can remember, is the most suspicious person I know. She would test any newcommer a thousand times over and would stare at them from a distance for at least 30 minutes before deciding whether they passed the evaluation or not! We were dreading when we started her with our babysitter (who is a brilliant lady from my son's creche). But she took to her straight away; both my husband and I couldn't believe it, not a tear, not a protest. Don't worry and make sure you enjoy your night out. Leave clear instructions, show her around and leave her a number to ring, just in case. I'm sure everything will be fine.
gottabfp Posts: 5641
Just a bit of advise from the other side, i do babysitting a lot and one thing to do is make sure you tell ds the blah blah is coming over to mind him and its a treat as mammy and daddy are going out. Just do not spring it on him when she shows up at the door. Also dont sneak out the door b ut if he is crying and you cant settle after 5 minutes just go. Your babysitter will be able to settle him especially if she has creche experience. I always find it harder when the parents are there looking over your shoulder andi am trying to settle the child. Enjoy your night out :o)ll
bobby2012 Posts: 644
[quote="gottabfp":l3cum8tn]Just a bit of advise from the other side, i do babysitting a lot and one thing to do is make sure you tell ds the blah blah is coming over to mind him and its a treat as mammy and daddy are going out. Just do not spring it on him when she shows up at the door. Also dont sneak out the door b ut if he is crying and you cant settle after 5 minutes just go. Your babysitter will be able to settle him especially if she has creche experience. I always find it harder when the parents are there looking over your shoulder andi am trying to settle the child. Enjoy your night out :o)ll[/quote:l3cum8tn] Second all that.