I'm having the worst morning

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kiss chase Posts: 92
I just had to vent here. Woke up this morning to hear gushing noises coming from the kitchen. Kitchen was completely flooded. I thought it was the central heating again as we had a problem with it just before Xmas with a burst pipe. No, it turns out, our cold water pipe has burst. Our hot water pipe is also frozen. Luckily, our very kind neighbours are plumbers and they are downstairs fixing it. The whole ceiling has been taken down and the water just keeps dripping out. The floorboards are destroyed. I'm not even sure the insurance will pay out as we only received the cheque for the last episode during the week. At least the painter hadn't turned up!!! He was coming next week to paint the kitchen. We also have heating, which we didn't the last time. The lads were telling us, that they were in our next door neighbours house last night until 2 with the same problem. I feel better now. I know that we are lucky it was only the kitchen and only one burst pipe. Rant over. Thanks
mrspants Posts: 4652
You poor thing. I think plumbers must be loving this weather cos they are kept going with things like this happening. Hope your insurance company pays out.
soimarriedanaxemurderer Posts: 932
Oh no Kiss chase that is AWFUL!!! Really feel for ya, girl. Our water is gone-frozen pipes but I don't know what I would do if the pipes burst! It so much mess and headache. Hope things get better for you.
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
God you poor thing. We were soooooooooo lucky, water never went and we didnt have any problems. Hope you get it sorted out soon
Groovy-Chick Posts: 2383
Ah no you poor thing! i went into my Granny's old house with my mum there one evening and I had to cross the kitchen to turn on the light. Stepped onto the rug and just heard the squelch! Burst pipe, it's no fun :o(
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
Girls, If ye're pipes are frozen, make sure the water is turned off at the mains during the night and if you are out of the house. This means turning it off outside at the external stopcock or you may have an internal one as well....maybe in hotpress or under the sink. Only turn it on when you are checking if the water has come back. When it has, you need to practically watch the tank (usually upstairs in the attic)filling and any other taps connected directly to mains (like your cold kitchen sink tap) to make sure the pipes aren't burst or cracked. Also, if and when you are contacting your insurance company.......don't mention "frozen pipes". Although I'm sure they know well what's caused the damage, just say you've had a leak or "an escape of water". Believe me, you learn from experience!!
kiss chase Posts: 92
Thanks for all the replies and advice, just wanted to let you know, finally after nearly 3 months the downstairs of the house has been fixed. Insurance covered most of it. Not looking forward to seeing my new insurance premium! :eek
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
Ah thats good glad your finally sorted!
IndigoMoon Posts: 2842
Don't know how handy your men are but during the bad weather we had hubby dug up the ground where are pipes were & insulated. Touch wood we haven't had any issues since. Just on the plumber front we were discussing this recently & hubby was laughing how plumbers practises have changed. They are now arriving on site with insulation for the outside pipes