I'm just clueless on this..........

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

RoseDawson Posts: 1494
Hi Girls, can any of you explain to me about being jointly assessed for tax credits now that we are married. My OH is in college and gets a payment off SW for that. I am in full time employment. I am so clueless when it come to revenue!! And am a little scared of them if I'm honest :-8 Does being jointly assessed have any negatives?? Dont want to mess up hubby's SW in any way as we could not survive with out it.
sugarkk Posts: 1384
There's no negatives. Your OH's social welfare payment may or may not be means tested, but that's a seperate issue. It's the getting married part that would affect his SW payment, not the joint assessment (i.e. if you earn over a certain amount he will lose the payment IF it's means tested. If it's not means tested, he'll keep it). He'll need to inform Social Welfare that he's married. Anyhoo, there's no negatives to joint assessment. You will end up with a bit more take home pay as you will take his tax credits. So there is only positives.
theoracle Posts: 7664
As sugar said. Soem light reading here for you: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflet ... l#section9 :)
RoseDawson Posts: 1494
thanks girls :)