Menu

I'm up Sh!t Creek

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jeidi Posts: 3128
Girls, I'm some eejet. I (could have sworn) I joined Quinn Healthcare in Jan 2008, and I just looked at my card and it said joining date 8th Feb 2008. I'm due 25th Jan and you know the whole 12 month waiting period thing applies as I hadn't previous health insurance. I just rang the bank and they confirmed it, with the date of my first direct debit. My questions is.... I'm going private and my consultant fees are €2,200, which I have to pay in installments, but as I basically wont have any maternity cover where does this leave me? Does it mean I wont get a private room if one becomes available? If thats all I'm not too worried.
charli Posts: 5994
my understanding is that you'll be charged for the room and thats a heft 300/400 a night in the private rooms - could you not just go into public ward when your time for the hospital comes?
nea dude Posts: 749
Could you get the receipts printed a little later and claim when you come under cover. I know this is illegal really, but if you say you don't have the money at the time and go and pay two months later, the receipt would be issued then. If you have a really nice consultant they may oblige you. I'm sure you'll get the private room if you want it, but you'll have to pay for it yourself. Hopefully you'll only have to spend a night or two, think of it as a mini holiday in a 5 star hotel. :o0 :o0
Ah I'm not worried about the ptivate room at all to be honest - I'd die before I'd pay the rates they charge - I was just worried in case the consultants fees would double or something. In relation to getting receipts dated at a later date - that wouldn't matter, it all depends on the very day you give birth - so basically unless I go exactly 14 days over I wont be covered!
chefmaid Posts: 2426
if your not covered you should be able to claim back some of the money back on the med 1 form
problemchild Posts: 196
Can you ask you health insurer to cover you for the month you missed and you pay the premium to cover that month, ie you pay now for Jan 2008. Might be worth a shot. I know VHI use to do something similar in the past.
mrssunflower Posts: 3651
Did they start your cover in Feb or Jan? They might have startedin in Jan but your dd came out in Feb Ring them up I'm sure they'll have a history of your first call. You could always go over 14 days which would also cover you but you don't want to be wishing that.
ozypozy Posts: 2950
I'd say ring them as the other poster said your cover may have started earlier than the direct debit....... Good luck!
no, my first payment from my account was 5th March, I joined the day I rang on 8th Feb. Some dose
Duncelt Posts: 460
If you ring them they might honour it. Could you say that you went early and wasn't due but then again they might look for proof. I would ring and ask them are they going to honour it as its only a few weeks in the difference??