I need help choosing a hospital Castlebar or Galway?!?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

smurfee4 Posts: 4
Hi guys New to the P&B section I'm just 8 weeks & I need to choose a hospital to deliver in!! This is baby #1 so any help is much appreciated!!! Living & working in galway at the mo but planning on moving home to mayo for maternity leave or just before it if possible! Which is the better maternity hospital?!
ladymacbeth Posts: 713
it would be a bit of a pain driving up to castlebar for your appointments if you're actually living and working in Galway for most of the pregnancy . If its your first you'll probably have plenty time to get to galway from cbar when the time comes .
sweetbubbles Posts: 377
[quote="ladymacbeth":3fb1in0m]it would be a bit of a pain driving up to castlebar for your appointments if you're actually living and working in Galway for most of the pregnancy . If its your first you'll probably have plenty time to get to galway from cbar when the time comes .[/quote:3fb1in0m] Fair point, but would you be ok with being over an hour from your hospital if you suddenly go into labour??? (i would be a little nervous about that.... I know there are plenty of ladies who are and don't have a choice cause of where they live, but if I had the choice I'd like to know the maternity hospital was close by....) Are you planning on going public or private, cause if you are planning on going public, you can always have your notes transferred to castlebar when you move. I dont think it'll be as easy to move if you go privately unless you have a consultant that works out of both hospitals. (if there is one...)
miami82 Posts: 367
Hi smurfee4 Attending Galway for my first at the minute and I think they are amazing - from the lady on reception to Genie who does the scans to the midwives and my consultant (Dr Gaffney). I'm only 10.5 weeks gone but due to diabetes I've had 3 appointments already so I've met loads of the staff and they are fab. Ward wise I had to be admitted with hyperemesis the other week and was in maternity hospital and again staff are amazing and all rooms - public included are small so you're not in with loads of people. If you go public bring your book/kindle etc. the wait isn't too long but there are a few people to see each time so you will have waits in between. I'd recommend it so far anyway :)
theoracle Posts: 7664
I was very happy in Castlebar with my 3 births there. I was public all 3 times. I live half way between the 2 so I had a choice too. For me Castlebar meant less waiting as Galway would be busier and also less traffic/parking hassle. The major reason though I decided for Castlebar is my DH was born there! :heartbeat: If you are in Galway anyway, but going public, the transfer may be an option for you. I was under Dr Bartels' team in Castlebar, he is very good and too my taste anyway, not too interventionist and always asked me for my preferences.
smurfee4 Posts: 4
Thanks guys for the feedback much appreciated!! Can you transfer between hospitals if u have all appointments in one but deliver in another?!
summersurprise Posts: 1276
Like the Oracle, I've also attended Castlebar for my 3, very happy with the care and the consultants, I was under Hillary Ikele, very nice man. I'm also located an hour from each place. In Galway your first scan is at 20 wks on Castlebar it is 12 wks. Afaik. Hope that helps.