I pod & 7 year old

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Happy Mammie Posts: 1507
Im just wondering if an I Pod would be suited to a 7year old. We are thinking of getting our 7 year old one as a surprise for christmas as he loves listening & dancing to music and is after a camera fro smyths which costs €98 so we taught we would get him an I pod which also has a camera in it. What do you think? Is he to young for one.
mrs bmw Posts: 6447
I voted yes cos their ears are so delicate although you can put a limit on the volume on some models. My hearing is wrecked from loud music, I love loud music but I am paying the price :o(
discounter Posts: 441
My niece who was seven last year got a shuffle for Christmas and she listens to High School Musical and Hannah Montana on it
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
I cant see the problem with getting him one. If he loves music then I dont see why not. My nephew has an MP3 player he is 9 but has had it for a couple of years
Cathy34 Posts: 1068
I think it's a great idea - better then a phone - my son is 8 and begging for a phone and he is not getting it until he is at least 10 :o0
Jem I know you have explained your reason for voting yes, but Im just wondering what the other peoples reasons are? Just wondering like :o0
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
I voted Yes just going by our experience with FSD. She is so careless with her belongings - forever in a panic about losing something or leaving something behind in school/her granny's house/her friends house/"somewhere - I can't remember"! We're trying to teach her to have some responsibility by refusing outright to replace things she has lost or driving back to places to pick up things she has left behind when we can get them again in a few days. But until she learns to be a bit more careful we won't be providing any expensive electronic gadgetry!
curliwurli Posts: 3369
i voted no but i think it depends on how careful he is with his belongings - i know my own two younger sisters are very careless and are always losing/breaking things but i don't think they are too young to own one IYKWIM
[quote="v excited b2b":3jmltio4]I voted Yes just going by our experience with FSD. She is so careless with her belongings - forever in a panic about losing something or leaving something behind in school/her granny's house/her friends house/"somewhere - I can't remember"! We're trying to teach her to have some responsibility by refusing outright to replace things she has lost or driving back to places to pick up things she has left behind when we can get them again in a few days. But until she learns to be a bit more careful we won't be providing any expensive electronic gadgetry![/quote:3jmltio4] That is a fair point and one we are going through at the moment with our son and his nintendo DS. I actually just dont see how this would be a reason to not buy him one in the first place?? If he doesnt have any thing of value.... how can he learn the value of things?
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
[quote="Scarlett O Hara ":1m97e1e8][quote="v excited b2b":1m97e1e8]I voted Yes just going by our experience with FSD. She is so careless with her belongings - forever in a panic about losing something or leaving something behind in school/her granny's house/her friends house/"somewhere - I can't remember"! We're trying to teach her to have some responsibility by refusing outright to replace things she has lost or driving back to places to pick up things she has left behind when we can get them again in a few days. But until she learns to be a bit more careful we won't be providing any expensive electronic gadgetry![/quote:1m97e1e8] That is a fair point and one we are going through at the moment with our son and his nintendo DS. I actually just dont see how this would be a reason to not buy him one in the first place?? If he doesnt have any thing of value....[b:1m97e1e8] how can he learn the value of things?[/b:1m97e1e8][/quote:1m97e1e8] I'd like to be able to teach her the monetary value of things but we're not prepared to spend a lot of money on something she will more than likely lose just to teach her that lesson. Even things that didn't cost much but that she really loves she has managed to lose. We bought her something she was absolutely desperate to have last week. She was delighted with herself when she got it, had been talking about it for ages and took us on a long search through the shops to find it but she had lost it by the next day.