I think I have found the perfect cake lady but...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Veruca-Salt Posts: 1542
... I need help with prices before I approach her as I want to get the best deal I can. Did anyone else get their cake made by a 'freelance' baker and if so how much did it cost? What is the average price I should be expecting to pay for a cake and delivery does anyone know? Would it be less because it is 'homemade' IYKWIM? Thanks everyone! :wv
ccmar2010 Posts: 123
Hi I got a quote from a lady to make mine for about €390 for a 3 tier fruit or biscuit cake sizes 6, 8, 10 or if I supplied the cake it was going to be €240 to just ice it. Where is your lady located? HTH CC
Hi cc! :wv 240 just to ice it? Feck! I will def have to do some haggling! She is based in Celbridge but she will deliver to Dublin and Meath as well Kildare I think. God I hope I can get her to do a good deal for us, I would really love a nice cake like that! I love my cake >:o)
Hi veruca salt, I know - mum was thinking of making my cake but wasn't confident about icing it but it's a bit of a rip off just to get it iced! The lady I got the quote from is in Maynooth. Can you send me the contact details of your lady if you don't mind as I live in that area too and she might do a better deal for icing it?
Hey cc will pm you her details :wv
rocj Posts: 799
im getting mine from a lady and she is charging 250 for it and it is 3 tier dont see point in spending a fortune on it.
ladyinwaiting Posts: 198
Hi Veruca [cool name! :o0 ] The icing is definitely the dearest part My FMIL was talking about making the cake and we would get it iced and there was only about 100 in the difference We're hoping to get a 3 tier for about 400-450 [in Clare] can you ask yr aunt what she paid - that should give you some idea Hope it works out for you :wv
Thanks ladyinwaiting- you are all so good for replying- I am getting a good idea of prices!!! Princess fi, that is a brilliant price, can I ask where you lady is based? :thnk
Thanks Veruca, I'll give her a go. Definitely try to get her down. The worst she can say is no so I'd try if I were you. Princess Fi - where is your cake person located? That's a great deal you have.
I am going to ring her at lunch time, will let you know how I get on! :wv Anyone else got any price guides or good deals before I go haggling? Think I will chance saying I only have 300 budget and see what happens? I hate haggling :-8