I think I've been Rode!!!!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

im waiting Posts: 2727
Myself and mum went to look at cakes a few weeks ago. We did alot if searching through magazines. I have a certain budget for the cake so I wanted to stick to it. After alot of flicking and asking the cake lady what we could get within budget, eventually we found the one I wanted! I went back today to pay the Deposit. I asked her what size the Tiers were as I couldnt remember what size i'd chosen the last time but had 12, 10, 8 in my head as this was what I wanted. Apparently she quoted me for a Cake that was 9, 7, 5! Which is alot smaller, I wouldn't choose a cake that size but I thought as my mum is buying the cake for me, maybe that's what she chose so I decided to call over to my mums on the way home to see if she could remember. Stupidly I paid the deposit, I even forgot to get a receipt O:| My mum couldn't remember which cake size she originally quoted me as we looked at so many so now my mum has decided to pay the extra to get the size I want! But in half thinking of getting my deposit back and looking elsewhere but as my budget isn't big, I doubt I'll get a cake elsewhere within budget! Dont know why I wrote this post because I'm not sure if anyone can give me advice on this subject. Just ranting really >:o(
Leftbank Posts: 2395
What a wagon.. Would you consider getting the M and S cakes? All iced and everything..
Giant Underpants Posts: 953
Or, dare I say it, no cake? No one misses them and they are mostly likely carved up and served with the afters food when people are too trollied to eat them or care about them. Just a thought if you are looking for somewhere the save on your budget.
im waiting Posts: 2727
I was originally getting the m&s cake but as my mum is buying the cake she wanted me to look elsewhere 1st but I got the cake I wanted and the style I wanted, but obviously I ended up getting the wrong size!!!!! I love cake so I can't Not have cake! A little treat for me after months of staying away from treats- yum yum O:o)
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
Could you stick to the smaller sized cake, and if you feel it's going to be too small get another cutting up cake. You could get a nice fruit cake and have it cut up in the kitchen to "bulk" out the wedding cake when it's served with afters (if that's when you're planning to serve it)
vulgarpicture Posts: 571
Not sure where you are based, but I've ordered a lovely 3 tier cake, big layer fruit the other two sponge to do 130 people for just over £100 and I choose a quite intricate icing design! It's from a bakery in Derry.
Bluelagoon Posts: 650
[quote="Vulgarpicture":179fyrn4]Not sure where you are based, but I've ordered a lovely 3 tier cake, big layer fruit the other two sponge to do 130 people for just over £100 and I choose a quite intricate icing design! It's from a bakery in Derry.[/quote:179fyrn4] That sounds brilliant do you have a website for the bakery or do you have to just call in?
vulgarpicture Posts: 571
Hi bluelagoon, its the leprechaun on clooney terrace. Just a little bakery and coffee shop, but the lady is lovely! I just popped in, they don't have a website. Only problem is they don't deliver, but that wasn't a major problem for me. We got quoted £350 for the same cake in another bakery about 10 minutes away, it definitely pays to shop around!
Bluelagoon Posts: 650
[quote="Vulgarpicture":2t8nyzim]Hi bluelagoon, its the leprechaun on clooney terrace. Just a little bakery and coffee shop, but the lady is lovely! I just popped in, they don't have a website. Only problem is they don't deliver, but that wasn't a major problem for me. We got quoted £350 for the same cake in another bakery about 10 minutes away, it definitely pays to shop around![/quote:2t8nyzim] Cheers :)
yumyumcake Posts: 293
Hi, 12, 10 & 8 would be quite a big cake, have you a large number? Are the 9,7 & 5 the cake sizes before icing as these will be nearer to 10, 8 & 6 when finished which would be in general the usual sizes for a 3 tier cake. I doubt the cake maker is trying to pull a fast one as you seem to think. Time is the greatest cost when making and decorating a cake. By the way on that note, that cake in Derry for 100 is really cheap, hard to know how anyone would make any money from that unless they are buying in their supplies in serious bulk.