I've found my ring!!!! (Well almost... )

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

meeeeeow Posts: 1349
Woo hoo!!! After many searches, by foot, phone and email I have found my ring... well I've narrowed it down to 2 rings in Weirs and 1 in Applebys!!!! Now it's time to bring in the boy (in fairness, he came with me to O'Connors, a good few high street Jewellers and up to Newry, but I did a bit of research myself last week and found three!!! Now here's my questions: 1. How long do [b:1z5lam85]Weirs[/b:1z5lam85] and [b:1z5lam85]Applebys[/b:1z5lam85] take to resize a ring? (I am a P so it would be a case of making the ring bigger!) 2. I know that Weirs give 10% off on all engagement rings (except the Hearts on Fire diamond jewellery) but what did people get off in Applebys? I think I'll feel strange asking for Discount (well himself will be!) but if it's on offer I might as well avail of it :wv Also, anyone have any ideas of a nice way to spend the afternoon/evening after picking up the ring?? Was thinking of going for dinner or having a nice date together to celebrate our engagement! :lvs I'm SOOOO excited :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
SpringBride Posts: 406
Congratulations its sooooooooooooo exciting choosing your ring! I can't give any info on Weirs as I got my ring in Appleby's and we did receive a discount on the ering, they actually offered a discount if I remember rightly but my now DH would have mentioned it anyway plus we got a decent discount, it was the guts of 500eur not to sniffed at, and they give you a discount/loyalty card for further purchases, on the day we got engaged we went for dinner in the hotel that we actually had our wedding reception in a yr later, whatever you do you'll be on such a high that it won't matter if you're eating chips out of newspaper good luck!
frankensteins wife Posts: 1838
Hi Squeek Congrats on nearly finding your ring !! I'm not sure about how long Weirs take, but I got my ring made in Applebys and it only took around a week. To answer your other question about the discount, we got 10% off (every little helps !) and we had no problem asking, at the end of the day I'm sure that every jeweller expects you to ask for a discount, so don't worry about asking. Good luck with picking between the three rings Hope this helps O-O
rop Posts: 1453
[quote:3gglwx40]whatever you do you'll be on such a high that it won't matter if you're eating chips out of newspaper[/quote:3gglwx40] we took a walk down dunlaoighre (sp) pier - had fish and chips, 99's and when it got cold, hot chocolate, stayed until it got so cold and dark we had no choice to go home - it was so nice - just the two of us watching the world go buy! couldnt of had a better day!
Thanks for the replies everyone!!! [quote:sayh6s0s]we took a walk down dunlaoighre (sp) pier - had fish and chips, 99's and when it got cold, hot chocolate, stayed until it got so cold and dark we had no choice to go home[/quote:sayh6s0s] Flutterby Bride that sounds so lovely!!!! I love dun laoighre pier, it's such a lovely spot! Thanks for your help frankensteins bride! The girl in Weirs said to me, "We can give you 10% off" and I said "Oh yeah I heard that you offer that discount!" and she said "We can give it, but we are supposed to wait until we're asked, which I don't like so that's why I'm telling you!" I had a lovely girl helping me in Appleby's but I felt strange asking her, because it isn't me paying for it, so I didn't mention it, but will do when we go back!! I kinda hoped that Appleby's had a workshop so that they could do it on the day but if they can't I don't mind waiting :-8 Springbride, thanks for your input too! It's great to get feedback from someone who used the same place! Thanks again :wv xx
bumble Posts: 1980
Hi Squeek I bought mine in Applebys (or rather H2B bought mine!! :o0 ) and they resized it in 2 hrs for me! I was thrilled as didn't want to leave town without it! Also, they give you a voucher for a glass of champagne in Westbury....so afterwards that's what we did...went and sipped champagne there! As regards discount we got approx 15% discount which was very good. Enjoy!! :wv
Bumble I think I love you :lvs :lvs :lvs :o0 :o0 Your post is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!!! I'm sooooo happy now!!!! I have visions of us just strolling around, gazing at my ring for the afternoon - I am a child and have no patience whatsoever so I WANT IT NOW!!!! I'll let you know how I get on and might post a pic too!!! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll (Can ye tell I'm a little excited???) x
Hey guys! Thanks a million for all your help! Got my ring today but heading out now... so will post a pic later!!! :thnk :thnk :thnk :thnk :thnk :thnk :thnk Thanks again! :wv :o)ll :o)ll Squeek xx
bumble Posts: 1980
CONGRATULATIONS SQUEEK!!!! :o)ll O-O :o)ll O-O :o)ll O-O Am delighted for you!! We want full description & photos if poss.... Enjoy yourself!!! Hope you got a good discount!!
I'm back!! This ring should come with a health warning... do not wear while driving, may cause some distraction!!! Seriously though... how long does it take for the staring at your ring to stop?? I find myself just gazing at it randomly and using my left hand for everything!!! It's a three stone, 1.2ct ring and the middle stone is slightly larger than the other two. It's a yellow gold band with platinum setting. It's a very traditional setting, which I love!!! :lvs H2B has taken some pics so I will try to upload them later or tomorrow! When I went back into Weirs I just didn't like the two rings there, so we headed up to Appleby's. The girl who had helped me the other day wasn't there, so we had another girl who helped us. I gave her the details of the ring I had chosen, but she suggested looking over the rings one more time (not in a pushy way tho!) She brought out a tray and I picked out the original ring straight away and was happy with it, but suggested if there were any rings that had a slightly bigger middle stone I would love to see them... Well she came back with a tray and one ring just shone (litterally!) out at me!! It was amazing, tried it on and nearly cried... then looked at the price and almost fainted!!! It was a grand more that the ring I had chosen :o( She said it was currently on special (about 5% off) but we asked what else she could give.... she ended up giving us over 700 euro off it which we were really chuffed with! Also got the gold card that they give for future purchases and the champagne voucher for the Westbury!! (We're saving that for a "date" night in a couple of weeks!) :o)ll :o)ll thanks again girls! I really appreciate all the help and advice! (Now to move onto the actually planning!!) :thnk :thnk :thnk Squeek! xxx