i would never have believed

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mammybean Posts: 10364
the amount of people who sadly lose a baby. so many of the wollies have, other than seeing this myself i wouldnt have believed it. i think it has helped me come more to terms with my losses. It shows that life is so fragile, we willall be blessed when we do have a bundle of joy
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
You are so right. Unfortunately the loss of a baby is something that so many have gone through. Although I find comfort when speaking to another who understands, because unless you have been through it, you will just never know. I always say to people that I hope they never know what its like. I always think its like a private club - mothers of angels. They will all play together til we see them again O:o)
Gone2007 Posts: 4182
It's something like one in three pregnancies isn't it? My best friend was devastated when it happened her but she tried to tell herself that it happens most women at some point and that was hers and to move on and not be afraid to try again. Now just a year on she is 7 months pregnant and things are going really well.
Sphynx Posts: 6795
I don't think it's quite that high. The information I have says one in five of all pregnancies ends in miscarriage but that it may in fact be be as high as one in four. A lot of people have them so early on (at a couple of weeks) it's like a heavy period so it's hard to put a definite number on it. It is frighteningly common but I don't think we shouldn't dwell too much on it. The statistics are still v. much in favour of healthy pregnancies.
Mama Smurf Posts: 1447
Its 1 in 4 for a first pregnancy. It risk lessens then with other pregnancies. But as blackcat said so many women have miscarriages before even knowing that they are pregnant.
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Yes absolutely agree Beanies....I didn't know of any family friends who had a MC so I think I was under the illusion that it happened far less these days... until I came to this forum :o( But unfortunately it does.
Sphynx Posts: 6795
I think it's a subject people prefer not to talk about openly. Since I had mine, I've discovered a cousin and two aunts who've had them. And everyone I've spoken to knows someone who has had one. They are just a v. sad fact of life that you don't get told about until it happens to you. I'm starting to think maybe it's better that way. It's a life-saver to have this forum to talk about what happens to other people with similar experiences. At the same time, I would hate to think of anyone expecting or TTC on this forum freaking out worrying about the possibility of having a m/c. Girls there is really no point at all dwelling on the subject unless it happens to you. Hope we can find a nicer subject to talk about - maybe someone should start a thread about baby names - we haven't had one of those for a while!
mammybean Posts: 10364
i know what you mean BC i have had m/c at 5 weeks, a twin at 7, my first at 12 and baby darragh who i went into labour with at 5 months. lasted the whole day in labour. and do you know what, i am not afraid to get pregnant again. a bit nervous but not afraid. everything happens for a reason. i have resigned to the fact that i would be happy with 1 child. and i would.