If you were buying a new laptop tomorrow...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

cabbagehead Posts: 3899
...which would you buy? OH and I bought a Dell Studio laptop 2 years ago this week, and I swear I am NEVER buying Dell again >:o( I was a big fan of Dell, as I had an Inspiron for 5 years that never let me down (until the day it crashed and died :o0 but in fairness, after 5 years and much globetrotting, you'd expect that). But this Dell laptop has given us endless problems, crashing, overheating etc etc, and this week it's actually starting to fall apart, the hinge on the lid is gone wonky and the "border" around the screen is starting to come away. It's only a matter of time now before we won't be able to open it any more. We haven't abused it or travelled with it, the most is travels is up and down the stairs between the living room and our room, it's never been dropped or anything >:o( Two years seems like an awfully short time to get out of a computer - but maybe I'm naive??? And I guess repairs to it will probably cost almost as much as a new computer. I'll investigate having it fixed obv, but will ask you tech-savvy Wollies your opinion on what model would be best to replace it with, should we decide to go that way. Laptop is used for internet, music, photos and movies, no games or work (the odd spreadsheet for calculating budgets for certain upcoming events maybe ;o) ). Thanks in advance!
ott Posts: 3920
I would buy a macbook. They're pricey but much better value, iykwim. DH's laptop, which I'm using right now, is a Mac Book Pro, it cost him over €2,000 but it was worth every penny. Hopefully I'll buy myself a new one next year, probably a regular Mac Book, that will set me back about €1,000. They're wonderful for usability, especially when it's mainly for photos, music and internet browsing. They're so fast, they're so stable (very seldom crash), they can't get viruses, and all round, they're much more intelligent.
Kaycee Posts: 2107
Macs are fab, worked with them in college. Had a HP before and never did me wrong (til it broke after about 4 years of daily extensive usage) have a sony vaio now but next one will be a HP also. my other half works in computers and HP are the way to go I think (for what non-computer people) are looking for!
PussyGalore Posts: 3388
I agree, I had 2 Dell desktops crash and burn on me in my last job, heap of poo I reckon! I have been using a Compaq Presario that my ex gave me (guilt present when we were splitting up) four years ago. It's had a few problems lately with crashing (lost ALL my docs recenty when both it and the external hard drive gave up O:| ) but other than that it's been great and very reliable!! Although if I had the money I'd buy a Mac
RinkyDinkSlink Posts: 730
We have 3 laptops in the house. My Dell Inspiron is about 3 or 4 years old (I bought it 'cos it was green :-8 ) and works perfectly. My OH has a mac that is about 5 or 6 years old and working perfectly apart from the battery (he left it plugged on charge for 3 weeks and burnt the battery out of it, not it has to be plugged in to use). He also has a tiny little Dell that one of his workmates put a mac operating system onto (we call it the hac) and it's a great little computer, goes everywhere with him. My Dell is indestructible, has had drinks spilled all over it, animals on it, and a couple of bad falls and it works like it did on day 1. Still though, if I were buying a new laptop tomorrow and had the money I'd go for the mac simply for photo editing and lack of viruses.
bridenl Posts: 454
I would buy a macbook as well! Their great, when this one is done i will definitely get a mac
Cinnabon Posts: 2626
Mac all the way for me - they are the hardiest longest lasting laptops around. All the rest of them will need to be replaced within a couple of years. I work in the industry but with no affiliation to Apple but I would have any of their machines over dell/hp/lenovo etc....
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
[quote="fmh62":2neojklv]Mac all the way for me - they are the hardiest longest lasting laptops around. All the rest of them will need to be replaced within a couple of years. I work in the industry but with no affiliation to Apple but I would have any of their machines over dell/hp/lenovo etc....[/quote:2neojklv] +1. Mac all the way here too.
mrdvd Posts: 649
Depends what you want it for. We edit only on macs. We use macbooks on our travels. We find them simple and intuitive to use. They may be more expensive than equivalent machines but have some great bundled software that makes up for it. It's simple to for example sync your address book to your iPhone (and some other smart phones), sync mail to iphone etc martin That all said, if you want to just use the laptop for browsing, watching movies on the road, checking mail- then I'd go for the much cheaper iPad starting at €499 (internet services do mean you have to have access to a wireless network or pay more for connectivity to mobile phone network)
Finicky Fi Posts: 2134
I'm a mac user too. Only use the laptop for internet, photos and music. Everything's so easy. And virus free!!