if you were invited to a wedding in Africa

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Natasha7 Posts: 14
I have always wanted a beach wedding in the sun, small and intimate with just a few close friends and family. Problem is the destination I have chosen is Lake Malawi in Southern Africa. I don't know if guests will be keen to go and to pay. I have found an island on the lake with a small resort that is offering to book the resort out for 12 ppl all inclusive (meals & accom) for €20,000. It would be perfect exactly what I want. The flights will cost €800, if you were invited to a friends wedding would you go and pay for flights plus drinks? all meals and non motor water sports are included in what we will be paying. It would be a holiday of a lifetime, we are thinking of end of next year so it would give people time. Please let me know what you think or any advise. If people are not keen I was thinking we could go alone combine it with a honeymoon have the ceremony there and when we come back have a small reception?
MrsSparkle2B Posts: 1689
Editing my answer as not a genuine question!!! >:o(
whereland Posts: 472
It sounds amazing but I really don't know if I would be willing to pay 800 to travel to a wedding. Yes it's a holiday of a lifetime but it's your holiday of a lifetime, friends and family might have a different idea of what they would do for theirs. It's a lot of money but only you know if your guests are comfortable enough to afford it and if they have kids/jobs that need juggling.
LadyLizzie Posts: 1724
It's a big ask. It depends on your family & friends' circumstances. I would try to make it happen if it was my one of my best friends getting married but with my own financial circumstances right now I would have to turn it down. Would love to go though, it sounds fab!
Julie30 Posts: 20
[quote="Natasha7":24lj8881]I have always wanted a beach wedding in the sun, small and intimate with just a few close friends and family. Problem is the destination I have chosen is Lake Malawi in Southern Africa. I don't know if guests will be keen to go and to pay. I have found an island on the lake with a small resort that is offering to book the resort out for 12 ppl all inclusive (meals & accom) for €20,000. It would be perfect exactly what I want. The flights will cost €800, if you were invited to a friends wedding would you go and pay for flights plus drinks? all meals and non motor water sports are included in what we will be paying. It would be a holiday of a lifetime, we are thinking of end of next year so it would give people time. Please let me know what you think or any advise. If people are not keen I was thinking we could go alone combine it with a honeymoon have the ceremony there and when we come back have a small reception?[/quote:24lj8881] Have you really chosen a venue in Lake Malawi for your wedding or is this just part of your market research that you often do on here for the company you are looking to set up? For example this topic you created recently post4290663.html#p4290663.
MrsSparkle2B Posts: 1689
Good woman Julie, you're on the ball!!
Natasha7 Posts: 14
yes it is for market research, the course I am doing requires as much market research as possible in order for you to know if it is a viable business idea or not. For those of you that answered thank you the info is very helpful to know if guests would be interested as a lot of brides I have met their biggest concern is that their guests would not want to go on a destination wedding, so they opt to get married at home. When you have your subject as a survey no one wants to answer your questions but if it's more relate-able people are more willing to answer and help that is why I didn't say it's a survey as I need a lot more brides to help by getting as much info on what bride to be's wants and needs are.
pooch90 Posts: 319
Lying to get suitable responses not very cool though.
Jenron Posts: 259
Not cool at all. Undermines the whole ethos of weddingsonline.
whereland Posts: 472
Well I wouldn't have been so polite about it if I knew it wasn't really your wedding plans.. So no I don't think it's a good idea, it's a ridiculous idea to think that guests will pay €800 for flights to a wedding, unless your target audience are millionaires. I'd scrap that business plan to be honest.