Menu

IHCPT

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

spanishbride08 Posts: 413
I know probably most of you using this forum will have quite young children with special needs, but I thought I would post this anyway just in case. The IHCPT is a charity which takes children (from age 12 upwards) to Lourdes for a week at Easter on a pilgrimage / holiday. It is a fantastic experience for those children, and for the helpers too. I have been involved with them for over 10 years, so if anyone has any questions as to how to get involved or is interested in getting their child put forward, just contact me. Over the years I have gone on holidays with children who have mild learning disabilities, severe physical disabilities, and everything in between. It gives the parents a break as well for the week ... with just one week caring for those children, I have a tiny glimpse into how hard it is for parents to keep going 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - you have my utmost admiration, always. At the end of the week, when we land at the airport and hand the children back over to their families, it always breaks my heart to say goodbye to them, but also fills me with love to see the joy in those parents / families to have their precious child back with them again. Anyway, like I said, if anyone ever has questions on it, give me a shout :wv
[email protected] Posts: 492
Sounds wonderful Spanishbride - well done. I'm sure you get alot out of it. Keep up the good work Ceegee
[email protected] Posts: 492
Sounds wonderful Spanishbride - well done. I'm sure you get alot out of it. Keep up the good work Ceegee
fantac Posts: 4109
hey spanishbride - wonder do i know you - i know 2 people very well who do the lourdes trip every year - :eek :o0
lisa Posts: 1612
I've been involved with the IHCPT for about 10 years too. Was group leader for 3 years. For any one who is interested it truly is an amazing experience for Kids with a disability. The one thing that stands out for me every time i travel with the group is to see the amount of independance these kids gain in the week out in lourdes. Its not just a Pilgrimmage, there is so much fun involved too. There is also a family group, which caters for very sick children and the parents can come too. By the way It costs nothing. We fundraise to cover the cost of every child and all carers pay for themselves. From this month we will be looking for Kids to travel next easter so if anyone is interested now is the time to get application forms. Spanish bride, Which group are you with? I've been on a break for the last 2 years but was with 162.
charliesangel Posts: 2106
id love to get involved and go how do i do it
Service Finder
Charliesangel, I've pm'd you.
If anyone is interested in finding out more about the IHCPT their website is www.ihcpt.com. Application forms are available now and the closing date is end of october.
charlieangel, I've pm'd you again
Drummerswife Posts: 3497
Would like to volunteer but just wondering approx how much does it cost to go there.