Ikea Cots

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

elpi Posts: 748
I've seen lots of recommendations on here and on other forums for Ikea Cots and I like the look(and price!) of some of the ones on their website. However none of them seem to have the drop down side-I don't mean being able to take off the side when the baby is bigger but actually just being able to drop the side of it so it's easier to get baby out. Does anyone have an Ikea cot that has this option or is it just not available?
caramelsquare Posts: 866
am very far from an expert on this - we have not even got to looking at buying any equipment yet! I did google cots one evening, and correct me if I am mistaken, but I think the drop down cot is no longer considered safe due to the risk of baby getting caught in it or it slipping accidentally. I thought a drop down side would be way handier and better ergonomically, but I think we will be going with a non-drop down side having read up on it.
wow thanks for that broodymissus, hadn't heard that at all but a quick google shows that they've been banned in the US!! Wouldn't have even occured to me but thinking about it I can see the risks. Thanks again.
mrsh11 Posts: 113
I'm thinking of getting the Leksvik as it can be converted into a bed later on. I read the same advice re: drop down sides. The thing with most of the Ikea cots is that the cot base is adjustable so it can be moved up higher when the baby is small - this should make it much easier to take the baby out.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
We're planning on an Ikea cot. A few people recommended them to us. We have actually been warned off getting the cot bed ones as those who went for them never used them as a bed, because they had a second baby that needed the cot! I was also surprised at the drop down safety thing, my mum was giving out about the sides being rigid and was saying my back will be sore bending over, but I think it makes sense from a safety perspective. Bear in mind that Ikea have their own sizing system so if you get a cot you need to get the mattress and more than likely the sheets that fit properly there too. We have an Ikea king size bed and I have to buy superking sheets for it, they are a little too big but the king size non Ikea sheets don't fit.
Thanks girls, god it sounds so obvious when u say it but safety of the drop down sides hadn't even entered my head :-8 I think a trip to Ikea is in order. ACS, thanks for the tip about the mattress and sheets.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I think we'll probably end up getting an IKEA cot - we're going to wait until baby is ready to move into a cot before we buy it though as I think/hope we'll have a better idea then what we want from a cot!
marles Posts: 1397
We have the leksvik cot. It has been great for us.The mattress is perfect too.My parent's bought one for their house for us. The only downside and it is a very small one is that there are only two levels to the cot.This was only a bad thing for about a month when DD was standing up in the cot she was too high at the top setting.Now when she is standing up her head is over the bars but there is no chance of her getting out. We had to lower the cot earlier than intended because DD is a little dare devil >:o) I have had no problems with it.DD has been in her cot since she was 3mths. I have the changing table too and find it dead handy with the drawers and shelf underneath.The shelf was really handy when I was/am feeding her as I pop stuff there and it is within easy reach.The drawers are good and deep too so lots of space. Given the price of the Leksvik range it is great value even with the mattress and sheets etc..It is well worth it in my opinion.
geeklover Posts: 831
[quote="broodymissus":c3rinpc7] I did google cots one evening, and correct me if I am mistaken, but I think the drop down cot is no longer considered safe due to the risk of baby getting caught in it or it slipping accidentally. I thought a drop down side would be way handier and better ergonomically, but I think we will be going with a non-drop down side having read up on it.[/quote:c3rinpc7] We bought a drop side cot in Murphys Prams in Rathcool, I've seen a few on a few other websites. They are not available in the States anymore as there has been some incidents, but from looking into it, it seems a number of the accidents are from the cots not being put together correctly. Not saying you're wrong broodymissus, that's just what I've read into it, and of course it's entirely a personal decision. I have a bad back and that's part of the reason we wanted the drop side. I'd say Ikea don't do them because their furniture is the same worldwide and rather than making different types for different regions it's how they keep their costs down. That's my theory anyway!! They do have such lovely cots there, actually we bought the mattress there! ETA the cot mattress is the standard size, can't remember exactly, something by 120cm, so you don't need to worry about sheets etc.
wollysocks Posts: 1773
WE got Ikea Gulliver cot and were perfectly happy with it...