illness benefit

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrswifey09 Posts: 1300
Hi, Just a quick question, I am signed off work till the 20th and dont get sick pay from work. My doctor gave me the forms for illness benefit, just wondering if anyone knows is there any point filling them in if my husband has a high salary, even tho he has a high salary we still have very little left at th end of month even with my wages, so now we're going to be down 2 wks I really need the money....but will his wages mean I wont be entitled to anything?! Thanks!!
ontheway Posts: 432
AFAIK you get paid illness benefit regardless of your DH earnings. I get full pay when on sick leave and get the benefit paid directly to my employers.
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
I don't think illness benefit is means tested - so your DH's salary would be irrelevant.
mrswifey09 Posts: 1300
Thanks Ladies, My god the list of questions is huge on the forms...trying to fill them in now!! even €50 a wk would be better than nothing!!
Little Chip Posts: 358
[quote="LittleLily":1ofcbsq9]Be prepared for it to take up to 6 weeks for the payment to come through also. Even if it is for only 2 weeks. My Mum was very sick recently and it too 2 months for the payments to start.[/quote:1ofcbsq9] +1. Recent experience,and yes, there is a bit of a delay in getting payment. If you have a look on the Citizens Advice website, it gives a good guideline on payments, how much you are entitled to etc. They are based on your social insurance contributions afaik. Hope that you feel better soon.
dion Posts: 986
I dont think its means tested, had a friend that claimed this last month, she got paid after 3 weeks & her dh income didnt come into it afaik.