Inappropriate First Dance Songs

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I'm not talking about getting jiggy in front of your granny to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydrtF45-y-g&ob=av2n I'm talking about songs where the lyrics make no sense for a first dance. Like James Blunt's "You're Beautiful"-he doesn't get the girl, its about a love that didn't work! Or "I Will Always Love You"-about Dolly Parton's former manager, not a lost love! There must be some songs you've heard for a first dance and thought "Huh. Did they listen to the lyrics when they chose that?"
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Sting always says he doesn't understand why anyone would have Every Breath You Take as their first dance song as it's about divorce and stalking!! I did hear a story about a funeral one time, where there had been a split in the family and they couldn't agree on what song/hymn to have as the coffin came back down the aisle. Eventually anyway it got to the day of the funeral and everyone showed up blah de blah everything's grand. Until the end. When one of the sons replaced the CD in the CD player with... Eye of the Tiger. Just as they started to walk down the aisle, it started. DUM. Dum dum dum. Dum dum dum! RISING UP! Back on the streeeeet, did my time, took my chances... I believe this family had it's difficulties let's say. It's awful because the poor person who had passed away like...but when I heard that story first I couldn't help laughing. I'm awful.
Rogue User Posts: 6101
I'm just sitting here having a chair bop while listening to Salt N Pepa - thanks ACS. Love that song. Sorry nothing to add, Let's talk about SEX!
Momster Posts: 442
was going to say the James Blunt "your beautiful" one... a girl i worked with had this. we were all looking at each other in confusion!! :eek i dont think any others i have heard at weddings i have been to were odd but a friend of mine did say that a couple she knew had Garth Brooks "the dance"... i dont think thats very appropriate!
Luka Posts: 1904
Ok these are totally off the wall but I love.... The Dutchman.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429PaSejZCE Boston rose..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-we400fkXuw Now I'm not a major fan of the "Come -allean" but I like these too, esp Boston rose. Having said that we picked "the voyage" as our first dance song.
daffodilbaby Posts: 916
U2 "still haven't found what I'm lOoking for" :o0
MrsBraxton Posts: 4662
Elvis -Suspicious Minds talking Heads - We're on the road to nowhere Kanye West - Gold Digger :yelrotflmaosmilie:
Dollydel Posts: 1726
OMG SK that is so sad for the poor person who passed away but I laughed too. I'd love to have A Million Love Songs as our first dance but the song is about a Man trying to get a woman to understand that her loves her....mmmh not very appropriate.
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
I have heard of "Smoke gets in your eyes" played at a cremation. Awkward. Love the idea of something like Eye of the Tiger playing at my funeral, if I have one. With a montage - you gotta have the montage. Inappropriate first dance? Everyday by Kaiser Chiefs?
hils138 Posts: 680
I was at a wedding where the first song was "Blister in the sun" by Violent Femmes. For those who don't know the song, it's about masturbation!!