Menu

Induction next week and scared

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

doggiedave Posts: 16
Hi girls, I just found out i will need to be induced next week at 38 weeks due to high blood pressure. All I have heard about induced labour is very scary, like lots more pain and loads ending up in sections, I was just wondering if anybody had a more positive experience and if there was anything I could do to prepare myself? I had been using the gentlebirth CDs and had hoped to go as natural as possible so am very disappointed and a bit frightened. Also will breastfeeding be out of the question as my body won't be ready? Thanks!
Tinytots Posts: 369
I was induced because my waters broke but I didn't go into labour. I was also using the gentle birth CDs and found they really helped keep me calm during the whole thing. Like you I was disappointed that I was not having the birth I wanted but once I accepted this was the way it had to be, I felt much better. I was started on the drip straight away - no gels or anything, and labour began quickly. May not always happen this way but did with me, I found the contractions very intense from the beginning but managed for quite a while with just the tens machine. But it did get to a point where I felt I wanted to get the epidural, so I got it. The labour progressed well and my ds was born within 8 hours of labour starting. I breastfed and as far as I know, once you deliver the placenta that's the trigger to you body that it needs to start feeding your baby. I found the fear release track on cd 3 really helped. The very best of luck, labour and birth can definitely still be a wonderful experience for you all with induction . :action32
Delighted to hear that tinytots, especially about the quick start and breast feeding, please god next week I will be posting my own positive story! Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, will keep going with the CDs, was listening to the confidence booster today so will defo try the fear release tomorrow! Thanks again!
fluffiesmam Posts: 1470
i too was induced... my waters broke too but again i didnt go into labour and i too went straight on the drip, it was my first and only birth so far so i have none to compare it to.. but to be honest i didnt find it at all horrendus! :) i was told that the contractions were going to be intense with the drip so when they started coming the midwife said not to even bother with the gas and air, i had no birth plan as i didnt want to stress myself out by having to stick to a plan and then be feeling like a failure after (my personality) so i went with her advice, there was a wait for the epidural so she gave me the gas and air and i loved it!! (junkie or what!!) i even told my oh that he had to try some!! :) long story short.. i gave birth naturally to a 10lb 9oz baby, and instantly breast fed my little man, tbh i felt it was a very positive experience overall.. but then i hated being pregnant!! :)
So glad to hear of someone that gave birth naturally after being induced! I want to try and keep an open mind about it so delighted to hear that it's not a completely mad thing to hope for! Thank you so much for sharing that!
Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
dont worry about induction - I was induced with getting the waters breaking - no pain at all...very controlled and perfect birth. Definitely doing it again next time!
Marpat Posts: 1784
I know it's very scary. But everybody will be nervous no matter what type of labour is in store. I was induced both times. Starting with gel the night before and then having my waters broken the following day and a drip started. I found it intense but fine. I didn't have an epidural either time and had successful quick deliveries. I was absolutely fine afterwards so I would imagne you would be absolutely fine too. I have chosen to be induced this time too as it's what I know and might end us being more organised with regard to childcare and stuff. best of luck!
Thanks so much girls, it's so great to hear these stories, I guess it's always the horror stories that stick in your head and not the positive ones! I think I am afraid that at 38 weeks it will be hard to get labour started ending up with a section, also I am afraid for the baby coming two weeks early and any effects of that. But I am well aware I could go into labour naturally and have it all go pear shaped. So no point going in expecting the worst, worry isn't going to help anything Thanks again girls!
Boo2011 Posts: 62
Hi doggiedave, This is my first pregnancy so I can't comment on birth but I have read absolutely everywhere that the baby is considered full term any time from 38 to 42 weeks so you have no need to worry about the baby being 2 weeks early cause, technically, it is right on time !! Best of luck next week. Boo
Thanks girls, finally coming to terms with this being the way it has to be. Please god all will be well and we both come safely out the other side!